aquafloe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I just finished my piecing together my new pc and I'm trying to install xp on it. I reformated the hdd and everything and it always locks up near the beginning. Could it be BIOS settings? I got this mobo used, it works flawlessly but maybe settings need to be altered. What do you think the prob is?

aquafloe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Well it goes through the whole formatting and file copying process in the blue screen/dos mode, then it loads windows to continue installation and setup the network and time settings, all that. Around there is where it locks up, where it says "registering devices" or something that. I cleared the CMOS and haven't retried it yet. I'm concerned I might harm it in some way. Also, could it be RAM settings? I heard people having lock ups and a lot of them were caused by incorrect RAM settings or something.

Mobo: ASUS P5n-E SLI
HDD: Maxtor 6L080P0
CPU: C2D E6850
RAM: OCZ platinum rev. 2gb
PSU: OCZ gamexstream 700w
GPU: 8800GT KO

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
A friend of mine was having the same problem with his Asus P5N-E SLI and it was the memory timings. I went in to the bios and put Al Overclocking to manual and entered the timings manually and changed the DRAM voltage. Look up your memory or look on the side of your memory for the timings and voltage and enter it manually.