Dell Windows Xp reinstall disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I am building a new computer soon and I was wondering if I could use my Dell Windows Xp disc to install on my new custom built. Or do I need to buy a new Windows xp for it to work with it?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Funny because I've used it on a custom build before.

Friend had a Dell Slim Line, used the "Repair" CD to install XP on the new computer. Had to call Microsoft for the activation, but it was that easy.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yes it will work and will probably even activate. Unlike most OEM OS discs Dell's will activate without a problem on almost any system. You can debate the legality of doing so but it will install, activate, receive updates and work the same as any other legit copy of XP. Also I really wouldn't be too concerned about the software police busting down your door for using it.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The Dell XP disks will not activate. They have a bogus cd key that will allow for instal but will not activate. All Dell XP have a Preactivated WPA file on the disks and if installed on a Dell will never ask to activate.

To the OP download VM Ware and install the Dell XP on a Viritual PC and try to Activate it .... It Will NOT work I have tried with XP pro and MCE.

I just wont work.

1Haplo

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Eh ok. I've done it and it worked fine. Used the CD-Key that comes with all Dells that was stickered on the back and the "Repair" CD that came with the Dell.

Installed it into a completely new machine (nothing was re-used from the Dell). Worked fine, had to call Microsoft to get the authorization code, and that worked.

I just explained that the old motherboard had blown up (convienent) and it was being reinstalled on a new machine.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
To those saying it won't activate, 1. I've done it plenty of times while working for a certain computer repair 'Squad'. Dell OEMs were coveted because unlike HP and Gateway OEMs they usually don't require any additional steps to activate. And like I said activation isn't really anything difficult, just call the 1800 number and it's activated in 5 mins without any cracks.

snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Ok, so some of you are saying it will work and some of you are saying it won't. If I do manage to install it, do I have to call microsoft or will it activate online? Should I make up some excuse for having to call for activation? Also where can I find the 1-800 number?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

The 1-800 number comes up when you try to activate. You just tell them the code you see on screen and just tell them what you want. I told them it burned up so I didn't have to answer a bunch of questions.

jhooka

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Step by Step Reinstallation of Windows on a Dell PC

Step 1: Look at the Windows Product Key sticker on your Dell PC. Write down the version of Windows.

Step 2: Take your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD and insert it into the cd/dvdrom drive.

Step 3: Press F12 during bootup. Choose boot from CD/DVDRom

Step 4: Follow onscreen instructions and reload windows

If you dont have a Reinstallation CD/DVD, you can go to: http://www.oemsoftwaresource.com or for a replacement.

I temporarily opened this thread to make a comment about the subject, I'm not overriding the moderators decision to close it, that said.

There seems to be much discussion on the right and wrong of the thing.

If the operating system is successfully installed, and Microsoft OKs activating it, well whether its a OEM Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Emachines, doesn't matter in the least.

Microsoft is the owner of the operating system, if Microsoft activates it, I don't see how that could possibly be illegal, maybe they should sue themselves for activating it in the first place.

I've transferred many, many, OEM brand specific WinXP licenses to completely different hardware configurations, and Microsoft through a telephone call has activated every one of them, Microsoft has not refused to activate any of them.

So wheres the illegality in Microsoft activating their own product, when they simply could refuse to do so.

This topic is reclosed. Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.