Apr 11, 2007
Can anyone help me diagnose this issue?

Been using my self-built system for almost 2 months now...specs are:

GIGABYTE motherboard
Intel DualCore E6300 1.86
2 GB mushkin RAM
300 GB HD
Geforce 7900GS

Today I have been using the computer, and all of a sudden, the entire system shut off on me. Completely turned off. Now I can't turn it back on. I was guessing it might've been the PSU, but I checked and it still working...where do you think the problem might lie? Thanks.

Raaid

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
What actually happens? Do you get any power indications? Do you get anything on screen? Do you hear anything? How have you checked the psu?

badmilk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Yes checked the PSU, it was fine. However, there are no idications of power. I turn on the switch and nothing turns on. Its almost as if no electricity is enterting the system.

badmilk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
My PSU is a Thermaltake 430 Watt.

I checked it by plugging it into another system, which powered up. In my situation, the system would not turn on whatsoever...I tried the components one by one, none of it worked...

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
My vote would be for the MB.

When you say that nothing works, do you mean like 'absolutely' nothing happens? Fans (CPU, Chipset, Case, etc.) don't twitch? Does your MB come with an onboard LED that lights up indicating whether or not power was being delivered to the system?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me, but it turned out to be that the power button on my computer had broken, so I switched some wires around and now use the reset switch.

I hope that it is this easy for you.

Best of luck!

badmilk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I am thinking it might be the MB as well. "Absolutely nothing" means when i hit the switch, nothing turns on. Fan doesn't turn on, HD doesnt spin, nothing happens. My MB doesn't have a LED light...

I thought it might have been the power button too, so I tried touching the two metal leads on the MB with a paper clip to power it up that way...still nothing. My guess is the MB...has to be right?

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
One thing you could try is to disconnect everything, or just about everything. Disconnect your HDD, your optical drive(s), floppy (if you have one), sound card (if you have one), even your video card.

Pretty much the only things that should be left installed are the CPU and memory. If the machine still won't power up then you've at least eliminated all but the MB, CPU, and RAM.

But at this point my money is still on the MB being shot. If you're still within the warranty period you might as well RMA it.