Sign in with
Your question

JRE Keeps Disappearing

January 2, 2013 9:47:33 AM

Last night, after midnight, I came home and decided to play a game at Pogo.com It stated that it needed Java (Version 7 Update 10) and Firefox showed a plugin was missing. This seems strange as I played there on New Year's Eve. A trip to Java.com failed to verify Java was installed, so it downloaded and installed it. Back to Java.com, and the plugin was still missing. So, I ran CCleaner and did full scans with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Super Anti-Spyware and Norton 360, all of which came back clean. I shut down and went to sleep.

I woke up and started the computer. Firefox still showed no plugin. I started Open Office 3.4.1, which asked for me to find Java Runtime Environment (JRE). I did find it and it worked. Another trip to Java.com, another failed verification and installation. So I go to Download.com and download JRE. It not only failed to install, but removed Java from the installed programs. I had a Java installation file that I used for the latest update in December on my desktop and it failed as well. So, I restarted the computer, re-clicked that Java installation file and it supposedly worked. However, no plugin is listed in Firefox or Chrome, which I installed to see if it was just a Firefox problem or a problem with its add-ons. On Chrome, the verification test is different in that the circling blue dots do appear, instead of the missing plugin message in Firefox. but it still asks for the plugin. Open Office still works btw. Currently, Java and JavaFX2.1.1 are listed in my control panel.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem on this board or anywhere? I've written to Oracle, but don't exactly expect a response. Anyone know what do with this type of problem? Given how I don't what sites I visit need Java, any help at all would be greatly appreciated

My computer is Windows XP SP3.

More about : jre disappearing

!