Looking for advice on a few audio decisions

Rew017

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I have done some searching to look for my answers, but it is hard to find the answer when you are not sure of the question. I am positive I do not want to use an on-board sound solution.

My situation: I use my computer primarily for first person shooter games. I find that my best use of sound for this is with headphones. However, I also spend a decent amount of time watching movies/listening to music which I pipe through a pioneer receiver with a klipsch 5 speaker setup (still saving for sub). Currently I have a couple "Y" connectors (I tried to buy expensive on these to prevent too much noise) that connect my computer speakers, my receiver, and headphones (~$70-80 can't remember brand atm) all to the "audio out" of my on-board sound. I'm not satisfied with my sound quality on any device at this point to be honest.

I really could use some advice of the most efficient method to connect these three sound systems together and the appropriate sound card for my usage. My receiver has inputs for coaxial as well as optical.

No hard cost limit, but I'm not looking for anything over the top. I'm not an audiophile, but I appreciate decent sound quality. Please, someone tell me how to set this up in a way that will appease my ears.

sneeks

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121122

M-AUDIO Revolution
29-121-122-01.jpg

Its got a headphone jack AND a seperate jack for your computer speakers. You can plug the Pioneer into the coaxial output there.

Its inexpensive, simple (no front superpanels), and should sound great.