Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8600GT wont OC.

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 8, 2008 11:48:27 PM

My 8600GT wont overclock at all.
It is already factory overclocked at 680 Core Clock, 800 Memory Clock.
When I overclock it, it seems fine but once I play a game or a video or run 3dMark it will BSOD/Freeze.
Some people have claimed overclocking it too 1.3ghz core 1.1 memory on newegg where I got it but I can't get to 681 without crashing in a game. I'm using RivaTuner atm but with that I cant get past 850/900 without crashing immediately. I was thinking about using ntune but I heard that causes some serious problems.
Anyone have any ideas why I cannot overclock?
Eventviewer says the source is "nv" and the description is "unknown".
My pci-e is at 105mhz. Had to increase it from auto to 105 for the 8600 or my comp would not boot.
I also have the lastest drivers for my card provided from the XFX website 169.32 and I also have used the 169.21 from Nvidia's website.

More about : 8600gt wont

April 8, 2008 11:57:11 PM

Set the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz and give it a try. It's entirely possible that your vidcard just doesn't OC at all.
April 9, 2008 12:12:30 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Set the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz and give it a try. It's entirely possible that your vidcard just doesn't OC at all.


Thats how I got to 105.
Auto is 100mhz and wont boot. (Doesnt detect OS, strange error...)
100mhz to 101mhz - It detected the HDD but error'd.
101mhz to 102mhz - It finally booted but froze at the windows loading screen.
102mhz to 103mhz - It finally made it to the desktop with a slow boot.
103mhz to 104mhz - Made it to the desktop with a normal boot.
Put to 105mhz for safe precaution of a future unknown error.

Also, others have claimed to OC this card so it should be able too.
Related resources
April 9, 2008 12:20:27 AM

what the load temperature for stock and temperature for overclock.did you set the fan speed higher then what it is?
April 9, 2008 12:25:45 AM

Cildaten said:
Thats how I got to 105.
Auto is 100mhz and wont boot. (Doesnt detect OS, strange error...)
100mhz to 101mhz - It detected the HDD but error'd.
101mhz to 102mhz - It finally booted but froze at the windows loading screen.
102mhz to 103mhz - It finally made it to the desktop with a slow boot.
103mhz to 104mhz - Made it to the desktop with a normal boot.
Put to 105mhz for safe precaution of a future unknown error.

Also, others have claimed to OC this card so it should be able too.

It's possible your card simply won't OC. I've seen reviews where even 1MHz increase causes issues.

Try your PCI-E speed at 115MHz, up to 120MHz is safe according to MSI's website.
April 9, 2008 12:30:44 AM

Evilonigiri said:
It's possible your card simply won't OC. I've seen reviews where even 1MHz increase causes issues.

Try your PCI-E speed at 115MHz, up to 120MHz is safe according to MSI's website.


115? I thought 100-105 was the safe zone. 115 sounds dangerous :ouch: 

And the temps are 48idle 60load. It has plenty of cooling so thats not a problem.
April 9, 2008 12:47:04 AM

Cildaten said:
115? I thought 100-105 was the safe zone. 115 sounds dangerous :ouch: 

And the temps are 48idle 60load. It has plenty of cooling so thats not a problem.

Well, it depends on how you define dangerous I suppose. OCing is dangerous if you think that way.
April 9, 2008 1:22:00 AM

Tried 115 and OC was still a no go.
April 9, 2008 1:54:13 AM

anything under 120mhz will be safe.but 115 is a safe bet.
!