Essential Software for the new build?

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hello all,
Essential Software for the new build?
I just got the new system and assuming that the build goes well, I have a few questions regarding the software that all of you use. I'll put each individual question in quotes for your viewing pleasure. =P

1)I'm looking to make an image of my system as soon as possible. The reason that I am trying to do this is because I want to have a back-up in case something horrible happens and I really to basically start from scratch.
a) I'm not sure if I can do a reformat and re-install of vista because I bought the "only one time install" dvd off of newegg. Got Home premium for $104.99 shipped. ;)
b) Either way, I would like to make an image after I install some software so I don't have to go through a bunch of software.

Q1) So, basically, anyone know of a good free/pay image software?

2) I am thinking about installing a software that will basically wipe any changes that happened in the previous session, on a restart. I was thinking about purchasing Deepfreeze.
a) I figure that since I won't pay a subscription fee for an anti-virus program, this would be good for me. It's not like I won't use some free anti-virus/firewall program, but you can't trust free software to protect your system that well.
b) I can't really think of a reason to get this besides keeping the system running "like new". I would want to use this in conjunction with the image software(If I install something permanently and something goes wrong)

Q2) Do you really think it is needed? Is there a better program? Or a cheaper(DF=$35) program that would perform basically the same?

Edit: Do you know of any good free anti-virus/firewall software

3) I was thinking about dabbling with my GPU and maybe trying to OC it. I take it that people tend to like to use "rivatuner".

Q3) Should I use rivatuner? Not OC it? Some other program?

4) I think it would be common sense to assume that I don't want to fry my components. Therefore...

Q4) Is there a certain software that will be able to monitor my temps, stability, etc. across the board? I was doing a bit of reading and it seems the the temperature monitoring software that usually comes with the mobo is not very accurate and often reports temps higher than what they actually are.

5) I am planning on a dual boot of linux(ubuntu gutsy gibson). I have the install disc of that that I burned from there site. One quick question...am I going to use the standard version or the 64bit? I am going to want to partition my HDD.

Q5a)What partition software should I use? Should I do it in the bios, and then install...or should I install vista..download some software..partition..and then install ubuntu?

Q5b) How exactly do you think I should partition my drive? I have one 320GB HDD...so I figure that ~300GB will be useable. I will not probably use ubuntu that much as I am just installing it to see what it is like. I don't know how bloated ubuntu software is, but I would like enough space for the OS + 10GB extra on that partition.

Q5c) Windows...I will probably use this alot. I'm thinking that 100GB would be good.

Q5d) If I do install a software like Deepfreeze, I'd obviously want a drive that wouldn't get wiped after restart(for music, docs, etc.). I figure that I could do 150GB of space on this one(all remaining).

All in all, the size questions aren't that big of a concern because I think I would be able to modify sizes later. Maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note to any of these questions, are there any pieces of software that you guys use on a daily basis that you think I could benefit from?

Again, this is my first homebuilt and I would like everything to go fine and dandy.

System Specs:
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Intel E6750 @ 2.66 Stock
8800GT @ stock 600mhz
WD 320GB
4x1GB Corsair @ 667mhz(yes, I know..I know)
Samsung DVD RW+/- w/ lightscribe DL and SW
Coolermaster CAC-T05 case
Standard mouse and keyboard
Standard modem(Sadly, on dialup right now)
OCZ 500W PSU(I checked tier list)

Finally, I don't expect you to read all of this or answer all of this, but any answer would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
-Adam

akhilles

Splendid
Best backup software would be Acronis True Image 9. 10 is a bit buggy, according to user's reviews. I use 9 myself. No prob so far.

AVG, antivir, avast(vista-ready), etc. are good free antivirus programs. Try 'em out. IMO, antivirus based on virus signatures & heuristics is old. HIPS is the future. Examples are Threatfire, Online Armor Free, Comodo Firewall with HIPS:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/overview.html?currency=USD&region=North%20America&country=CA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-prevention_system#Host_based

IMO, the most worrying malware is the kind that steals information. Viruses take a backseat. See if your pc is "rooted', it doesn't matter what av you use to scan it, you can find nothing. Keyloggers, trojans, spyware are some examples. The worst kind is rootkit - the only antidote is format. Look for rootkit scanners/detectors & antimalware (AVG Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper) & antitrojans (a squared, BOClean, TrojanHunter).

I use true & strong SPI driver/service-level firewall. There's no icon, pop-up, nothing. But it requires some rule-based firewall knowledge (think iptables for windows).

You can try free ones like comodo, outpost, jetico, zonealarm, sygate, kerio, etc. until you find something you like.

Use Core Temp to monitor Core 2 temps.

:) I wish bios came with partition software. It doesn't yet. Web browser like Firefox, yes, on a new ASUS board along with a light OS. Use the one in Linux or Windows setup.

I used to partition a single harddisk into 2 for os & data. You can never predict exactly the size of your OS & software. I use a small 80gig for os & a big one for data.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for the informative response.

I'll be sure to look into all of that software that you mentioned. Based on your response..I think I might try Acronis True Image 9, Comodo Firewall with HIPS, AVG Anti-Spyware, a squared, and "Core Temp".

I'll also take your advice about using the partitioner in Linux or windows setup.

You say that you used to partition a single HDD...might I asked why you stopper?

Thanks again,
-Adam

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I've used Ubuntu for about 2 years now, and it's good stuff. If your planning to do much gaming though, you probably won't end up using it very much (unless your wanting to be rebooting constantly). Linux needs at minimum a partition to actually install the os to, and a separate partition for swap space. If all your wanting to do is install it just to install it, your main (root) partition doesn't need to be any larger than 5GB and your swap may be as small as 256MB (especially if you have 4GB of ram, it won't get used much, if at all)

I've also had some experience in a partitioning nightmare when installing Vista. Vista's installer can only install to a hard drive with 3 or fewer partitions (guys, if thats changed or incorrect, please correct me). So my advice is to install Vista first with whatever partition size that you want, and leave the rest of the hard drive raw. Then use gparted (comes with the Ubuntu install or can be downloaded as a live cd) to make your other partitions.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Cheers :hello:

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Yep, that actually helps quite a bit.

I'll probably go ahead and give it ~10GB of space. As I said, and you highlighted, I don't really plan on using it too much, but I'd like to install some ubuntu only software. Heck, if I like it -- I might start to use it more often.

I'm not really sure what the swap is, but I'm pretty sure it functions like a page file. Then again, I don't really know what the page file it either. I'll probably give that partition 512MB or something similar.

The install vista first, then use gparted looks like a pretty good plan. I've heard excellent things about partitioning

[ HDD30GB | U10GB | S512MB | Windows 100GB | Files - 150GB | Raw 30GB]

I figure the partitions could go something like that. Since HDDs never offer as much storage as advertised, I've taken 30GB out. I figure I'll just leave 30GB raw for now and incase I need another partition in the future. Either that, or add it to "Windows" or "Files".

Thanks again(really helped me figure out a gameplan),
-Adam

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Exactly :sol:
Sorry I didn't make that more clear.
Swap/page files are/is a space on the hard drive where the RAM can basically dump things that your not currently using to free up RAM, for a simple answer. For a more complete answer see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

Be sure to check out the awesomeness of the Compiz Fusion when you get it installed!
To get all options, you have to install the Compiz Config settings manager:
from console:
sudo apt-get install compiz-config-settings-manager

make sure you have your nvidia drivers installed first ;)

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

Sure thing. I looked at its features and it looks like it has just about everything, lol.

shadowflit

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Vista lets you change partitions from inside the OS (I assume Home continues to allow this), so if you're unhappy after you've finished installing, you can always change it.

Support Acronis recommendation and you could probably be happy with AVG Free (Antivirus) also. Oh, and you need Acronis 10 if you want it to run on Vista.
I use spywareblaster, ad-aware, and spybot s&d for occasional spyware scanning and immunizing purposes. Oh, and you've got windows defender running anyways.

I think the nVidia control panel comes with support for overclocking? Not sure as I'm on a laptop and the control panels' are sometimes different. Otherwise maybe their overclocking utility is a separate download nowadays.

I don't see why you'd want deepfreeze on a personal computer (if its not personal, ignore the rest). Anytime I've had to deal with it (and had the access to enable/disable it) its been a pain because there's always something that needs to be updated or installed or whatever. I can see where the idea of being able to reboot and having a clean slate would be nice, but I think it'll be too much hassle for that. If you have a major problem, restore from a recent image - you're only out a couple hours, if you lost some files by accident, restore them from the same recent image (Acronis can mount the images for easy browsing and selective restoration), and if you have a problem bigger than that, deepfreeze wouldn't do you any good anyways. As long as you're not taking big risks, free antivirus is likely to be just as good anyways.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

That is good to know. I was hoping that my partitions wouldn't be set in stone. Last think I want is a loss of data when I am modifying partition sizes >.<

Nice, two votes for Acronis. Regarding the AVG antivirus, I think I'll try download AVG virus and anti-spyware All-In-One.

When I say OCing, I mostly mean increasing the fan speed. Only when I get the GPU running cool enough, would I even attempt to OC it. I'l check out the nVidia control panel. Anyone know a monitoring tool for GPU temp? I don't think Core Temp would help. ;)

Yep, it will be a personal computer. I can see where it would be quite annoying to have to (restart to disable it - to install something - and then restart to enable it again) every time I wanted something new added. The reboot/clean slate idea did seem like it would aid in my mission to keep this machine running "like new" as long as possible, but I understand that it would probably be more of a hassle than a blessing.

Regarding the restoration of images..does Acronis only keep 1 image on file at a time per say? I mean, I would like to keep incremental ones on file or atleast one of my new system and then a current(within a day or so) one.

Also, regarding any type of harmful thing that might get on your computer....Would there be any sort of thing that couldn't be fixed by a reformat? I've heard stuff about viruses getting into BIOS, boot sector viruses, the root kits akhilles was talking about, etc.

Thanks again(opened my eyes to certain drawbacks and advantages),
-Adam

akhilles

Splendid
Some malware can corrupt bios so that the pc no longer posts. The only fix is rma unless you can find someone flash the bios for you, if the bios is removable.

Certain Sony music CD's did come with rootkits. After they had stopped, they did it a 2nd time. Sony released a tool to remove the rootkit.

The reasons I stopped partitioning is that it's a waste to time to me, harddisk prices are dropping fast, & it's easy to handle 2 harddisks. You can get a small drive for less than $50. If it's screwed up, format it. No personal data is lost since it's stored on another drive. My buddy stores his configs for router, software, etc. on a USB thumb drive. My family has one for their files.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Good to know, good to know. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to protect myself to the best of my ability and hope that something really bad doesn't happen. I'm going to make a list of all the software that I plan to use. It is more for me, than you...

Firefox(Internet Browser)
Linux 7.10(OS 2)
Vista(OS 1)
Acronis True Image(might *have* to go for V10)
Comodo Firewall with HIPS(Firewall)
AVG Anti-Spyware(Spyware)
A Squared(Trojans)
Core Temp(CPU Temp monitor)
Avast(Virus -- because vista ready)
Gparted(Comes on linux cd, use for partitions)

Some Formating software(just in case)
Something that will help with GPU related issues(nVidia control panel might work)

akhilles

Splendid
:) You don't need v10 if you use only the bootable cd. I do. I don't install it on xp. 0 compatibility issues. I boot up the cd once a month & do a complete backup.

Re: incremental: you can do that with 1 big file.

Another option would be Norton Ghost.

If you overclock gpu, get nTune. It can be used for monitoring gpu temps.

As for formatting, don't need it. In Vista/Xp, go to control panel, admin, computer mgr, disk mgr, right-click a drive/partition to manage it. Outside vista/xp/linux, just boot up the install cd & it will ask you to partition harddisks.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I just got confirmation that my parts have shipped. Yay for me.

On a not-so-software related issue...what monitor would be ideal for a setup like this?

I really can't afford anything over $200 and that is including money that I *may* get at Christmas time.

I was thinking of going for a 1680x1050 res with 5MS response and 1000:1 contrast, but I was wondering if I wouldn't be using the full force of my GPU if I decided on something like a 14x9.

Thanks for all the help,
-Adam

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
They are pretty much everywhere. Newegg, tigerdirect, etc.

Anyways, I would really like to buy something from bestbuy. Despite the fact that they are overpriced on virtually everything(isn't ever retailer?), I do have a $50 gift certificate buring a hole in my pocket.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I wonder If I will see a big difference.

Dell Dimension 4300
-Unknown Mobo
-256Mb of unknown ram.
-80Gb unknown HDD
-Intel P4 @ 1.6GHZ
-Unknown PSU
-NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
-Windows Xp

New Computer
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
4x1GB Corsair DDR2 @ 667mhz
WD 320GB HDD
Intel E6750 @ 2.66 Stock
OCZ 500W PSU
8800GT @ stock 600mhz
Windows Vista
Samsung DVD RW+/- w/ lightscribe DL and SW
Coolermaster CAC-T05 case
Standard mouse and keyboard
Standard modem(Sadly, on dialup right now)

Hehe. I'd just like to thank you all for helping me during the "what hardware should I get?", and also the "What software do I need?" stages.