Sign in with
Your question

q6600 stuck at 3.2/3.3, can you help me reach 3.6?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • BIOS
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2008 3:09:52 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to reach a OC of 3.6 with my q6600 (g0). Here is my rig:

q6600 (g0) - VID 1.25
asus p5k premium
2x1gb patriot extreme ddr2-800
600W OCZ Stealthxtreme psu
500gb wd hd
xfx 8800gt vid card
TRUE with Scythe s-flex (1600rpm) cooling
ANTEC 900 gaming Case

Here's a quick summary what I found so far Using cpu-z / h-w monitor /coretemp and my combinations: My ram is running 1:1 i(5-5-5-15) in all cases.

@3.2 (355x9)--- vcore on auto (bios 1.43 , vdroop 1.34) - temps b/w 49-55 for the 4 cores - prime95 stable 10 hrs.

@3.3 (367x9) - vcore (bios 1.45, vdroop 1.36), temps b/w 50-58 -prime95 20 mins (will do more later)

@3.4 (378x9) - vcore (bios 1.5, vdroop 1.41), nb 1.55 temps b/w 51-59, prime95 FAILS after 15 mins. - Going to retry this tonight.

@3.6 (450x8) - vcore (bios 1.5, vdroop ?), nb 1.55, windows only recognized two cores, did not test further.
(400x9) - won't load into windows at all. (vcore 1.5, NB 1.55).

As for 3.4, I used max voltages and I can't seem to get it stable (going to retest tonight), 3.6 seems out of the question as windows wouldn't recognize 2 of my cores. Also there is quite a bit of vdroop, I might just try setting vcore at vdrrop levels in bios and see what happens. What's more important towards chip stability/damage, bios vcore or OS vcore (from cpu-z/h-w monitor)?

Suggestions?

Are there any bios settings I should play with? C1e? CPU volt reference?

Does anyone have a p5k premium board that could send me their OC profile (using the latest bios 0504)?

Hopefully someone here can shed some light here.

More about : q6600 stuck reach

April 9, 2008 3:29:37 PM

Underclock ram to rule it out as possible source of instability. Run 9x400 for 3.6ghz, not recognizing 2 cores may be due to motherboard. Consider turning on Loadline Calibration to decrease vdroop, if your bios supports it. Is that board chipset p35 or x38? P35 fsb can only be reliably oced to 1600mhz (4x400), any more is shaky, and can cause problems.
April 9, 2008 3:47:30 PM

Hey,
I just edited my post for the ram settings. It is underclocked currently except when I go to 450x8.

The board is a p35, it has some voltage damper setting for Vdroop (some ppl say disable, some say enable, I don't know). I did run the board at 400x6 and it was 100% stable, so that should be fine. The x38's are out of my price range ($220+ in canada) so I bought the p5k premium.

I tried 400x9, but I couldn't get into windows at all, hence I tried 450 to no avail.
Related resources
April 9, 2008 4:40:49 PM

dignatec said:
Hey,
I just edited my post for the ram settings. It is underclocked currently except when I go to 450x8.

The board is a p35, it has some voltage damper setting for Vdroop (some ppl say disable, some say enable, I don't know). I did run the board at 400x6 and it was 100% stable, so that should be fine. The x38's are out of my price range ($220+ in canada) so I bought the p5k premium.

I tried 400x9, but I couldn't get into windows at all, hence I tried 450 to no avail.

Motherboard fsb is quad pumped, so it's always calculated by x4. x6-x9 is cpu multiplier. P35 should be stable up to 400mhz single, or 1600mhz(400x4) actual. Loadline Calibration should be turned on, unless you're already on high vcore (1.5+). The cpu can handle the resulting spike. It's better than having to run higher voltage constantly to compensate for large vdroop.
April 9, 2008 4:55:46 PM

Yeah it's stable at 400 hz for sure. I think it's called voltage damper under my bios not loadline calibration (the description mentions reducing vdroop).

I see you hit 3.6. What were your voltages (nb/vcore/fsb)?
April 9, 2008 5:26:16 PM

dignatec said:
Yeah it's stable at 400 hz for sure. I think it's called voltage damper under my bios not loadline calibration (the description mentions reducing vdroop).

I see you hit 3.6. What were your voltages (nb/vcore/fsb)?

X38, no nb overvolt, 1.43 vcore, 1600mhz(4x400)

The max prime95 stable clock I got was slightly above 4ghz at 1.65vcore. Tuned it back for day to day use. 1600mhz fsb, or 400mhz single, should be fine for p35. Have you tried 400x9 instead of 450x8?
April 9, 2008 5:48:29 PM

I tried 400x9 and it wouldn't get into windows. I even used vcore of 1.5 and nb of 1.55 in bios. It would do a quick reboot after the loading screen.

What was your vid? Mine is 1.25 when I boot into windows on default bios settings. Maybe that's the diff?
April 9, 2008 5:58:06 PM

Haha, Umm, Dignatec... I am not sure, but I'd say you put the CPU at that 400X9, 1.4625 VCore in the Bios. So it droops near 1.43 which should be more than enough for 3.6 on a VID 1.2500

On my 1.2625 G0 I need just over 1.40 in windows loaded to get 3.6, hours prime stable. It may be something else holding you back...

The VDroop is bad for OCing, but very good under stock settings because it makes sure they last intels warranty! And if you can defeat it any way while OCing, Its less voltage, period.

Like this, My Maximus formula has zero VDroop with LLC enabled. So I can set the VCore like 4 lower, because it doesnt droop. That means the Idle voltage is lower as well!

For instance. I had a 780i with a droop of .06 in windows when loaded. To test loaded, I needed to set that VCore like 4 notches higher, just to make up for the droop! And that only helps when testing! The rest of the time it sits there idle with all the voltage. If there isnt any up and down, I can set it at 1.40 and get 1.40 under load. I dont need 1.4350 so it can droop under load to 1.40. Get it?

--Lupi
April 9, 2008 6:06:24 PM

Hey Lupi,
Was wondering when you'd post and help me figure this out...lol.

Maybe you misread what I posted? I did try 400x9 at 1.5 vcore (in bios) and NB voltage at 1.55 and it wouldn't get past the windows loading screen. Is there something I'm missing here?

As for VID (tell me if this is right): I loaded default bios settings and booted into Windows, ran cpu-z/everest and both reported 1.25 for vcore. This is the right way to find my vid right?

I don't have LLC in my p35 board, but I have some voltage damper that I can enable. I'd like to ideally have the lowest voltage settings of course, only because of this massive vdrop/vdroop I'm having to set the bios value fairly high (e.g @3.3 bios vcore 1.45, vdroop vcore 1.36 from cpu-z, that's almost a 1.0 vdroop!)

I think I understand...What should be happening is that i set 1.40 in bios, windows idle should show 1.4 and windows load should show 1.4. However, my board is taking that 1.4 and changing it to 1.38 (vdrop)(for ex) under windows idle then vdroops to 1.36 under load. Correct?

In my example, if the system is not on load, is the cpu getting 1.38 or 1.40?

Man this stuff makes my head hurt...lol.
April 9, 2008 8:22:38 PM

Thats correct. The feature is to make sure that the voltage never spikes over the VID. So a VID of 1.3000 will look like 1.275 or so in windows. Then under load, it draws alot of juice, so it droops!

And your system gets the full windows voltage. If its 1.3000 in the bios, without LLC it will be 1.28 or a lil lower in windows. Thats what your cores get. BUT at a higher speed, with a bad vdroop. you'd need to place it on say, 1.3250 or more to make up for a droop, if it was bad!

So on the 780i it was getting 1.45 volts continuous, when loaded it went down to 1.38 anyways! get it? If I could start at 1.38 and get 1.38, thats like 6 VCore notches that I dont need to set higher to offset the VDoop.
April 10, 2008 12:08:16 AM

I made a mistake Lupi, my damn VID is 1.325 from coretemp/everest at default settings. That's probably why I'm stuck at 3.2 and can't get past it reliably. I was able to get 3.3, but I had to crank up the juice on all voltage param...

Also, I read an article from anandtech that makes a very strong case against LLC and why vdroop is actually a good thing...It sounded pretty convincing to me , check out the graphs:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

Using PLL inflates your max stable OC with prime95, but your system isn't truly stable under gaming conditions. What do you think?
April 10, 2008 12:25:16 AM

I think LLC does what its supposed to, and no, I have a q6700 that was a low VID and I noticed that it may not be my board anymore. its just needs like 6 more VCore notches than I though, that's too much! But since the 6700 starts out 266 Mhz better, I got to see it first hand! Thats a great piece of info. It means that a q6600 will have an upper range of 3.6... after it to get stable in prime 95 you'll need a semi-large boost in VCore. Subject to your VID of course!!

LLC is a wonderful tool when it works, and will be more than stable for gaming, if it can get stable in prime! I use it all the time, to various degrees. And the better the LLC, then better the OC has been for me! Simply because you dont need extra VCore to offset VDroop. Its what it says that it is when you boot and look. It will not go down from that CPUz stated core voltage. It may go up a tiny amount to promote stability even! Mine does!!

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 12:28:38 AM

dignatec said:
I made a mistake Lupi, my damn VID is 1.325 from coretemp/everest at default settings. That's probably why I'm stuck at 3.2 and can't get past it reliably. I was able to get 3.3, but I had to crank up the juice on all voltage param...

Also, I read an article from anandtech that makes a very strong case against LLC and why vdroop is actually a good thing...It sounded pretty convincing to me , check out the graphs:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

Using PLL inflates your max stable OC with prime95, but your system isn't truly stable under gaming conditions. What do you think?

That is wrong. Unless you're already running on very high vcore, the spike won't destablize your system or kill your processor. Prime95 is a test for truly stable condition. The alternative is keeping a constantly high vcore to compensate for high vdroop.
April 10, 2008 12:36:37 AM

BTW 1.3250 is the worse one! I have one of em I just got today, so when I test it, you'll know, and so will I, where yours should be able to go!

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 2:59:06 AM

Hey Dagger, TBH, i don't know what to believe. I know that when I enabled PLL (voltage damper whatever it's called) I was stable at 3.4, but with it off, prime95 in a few seconds gives me errors.

Lupi: Yeah I figured as much, pissed off but not much I can do. Maybe you'll have better luck (since I'm an admitted noobie at this) and you can OC it better than I can. Thanks man.
April 10, 2008 5:18:55 AM

I can tell you right now, try 1.5000 in the bios, trying for 1.47-8 in windows and just watch the heat. Thats about what it will take. And the only real problem becomes the heat, since you are within intels rated specs. 1.5 volt max.

As long as its cold, you could go up to 1.52500 in the bios, targeting 1.50 in windows. Some people would say thats to high, but it should last a good amount of time, even at that voltage as long as its nice and cool, and remember, you'll virtually never see a load like small ffts in a real life situation. So what you test at, you'll always be under it. Thats the very max.

I will give you a better 3.6 voltage, when I lap and re test it out to get screen shots for my collection of data. Once I am done testing them, someone is gonna be happy because I will put them up for sale on craigs list at less than retail, with optional overclocking. I'll already know where to put them! And I will write a small review of the data and post it here for everyone, with my findings!

Just wait till you read what I have to say about intel re branding their low VID chips as extreme chips, and selling them for 500 bucks more! Its nuts! I had to do a lot of weird research! Because so many factors went into why they OC well, down to economics!

Forthcoming...

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 1:28:40 PM

Hey,
I did try 1.5 vcore (in bios) and NB voltage at 1.55, at 400x9 it would hang right after I got out of bios (had to shut down) at 450x8, it gets into windows but only shows two cores.... If you can get into Windows with all 4 cores, post your settings so I can try as well. :) 

I agree small FFT's is literally pushing the system to max so it's not real life. My temps haven't broke 60 C so far, but I've read that once your voltages go high, even with good temps, there's a fair bit of electron migration (like putting your thumb over the end of the hose, adds too much pressure).

Do you mind trying it without lapping? I'd like the system to be comparable since we're both essentially starting from scratch (plus it will save you a few hrs...lol).

Sounds good. I realized last night that intel must be doign the same thing, taking the low vid chips, OCing them themselves and calling it a new model....Leave it to intel with their shoddy practices...

Looking forward to your post, thanks buddy.
April 10, 2008 5:30:55 PM

Sure, I will get on that a lil later today. I actually did pick up another q6600. Now I have the full set!!

1.2000, 1.2500, 1.2625, 1.3000, 1.3250!

I am thinking that it may be something else. But I will know for sure if I can get into windows and pass a while of testing, huh?

And yes, now that I have been studying WHY the processor OC's and some dont, I am begining to see intels tricks! Very smart business practices. Why let the OCers reap the speeds and steal our cash?? LOL!

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 5:49:41 PM

Pretty much, I bet we make up maybe 5-10% of people who buy their products, ie. 90-95% of people won't know the diff b/c they don't OC at all...

Given that the q6600 costs $240, why would I go out and spend $1000 on a quad core that runs at 3.0 when I can get mine up to 3.2 safely (hopefully more after you post back!)>

What mb will you be using? Hopefully an ASUS p35 (p5k premium if u have one given taht u have so many procs) haha.

Let's see what happens.
April 10, 2008 6:15:44 PM

LOL, naw, I have a p5k-e wifi, close enough, but I can get a 500 FSB on this board! So that allows for testing sync'd ram too at high speeds!

My goals are to find the proper target VCore, thats all, really. We'll have to work on your MoBo settings after we at least know where a 1.3250 VID chip needs its VCore to be at to be stable at 3.6.

Its gonna be up there. My guess is 1.48 ish loaded. Can you test your VDroop real fast? Unless ya know what it is. If not go into the bios and set the VCore on 1.50000 and load windows, run prime for a min, note the droop in voltages with cpuz and record them. (At yer highest stable speed.)

Once we have that, I can match up where it needs to be, with how your bios does its droop. at 1.5000, when in windows you'll know your drop, then run prime small ffts and you'll get yer droop. After that its simple to reach that target VCore.
Then on to the ram and whatnot!

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 6:54:33 PM

Lupi: that's fine enough, I have no idea how you're hitting 500fsb, but screen shots would be awesome once you get this up and running!

I'll go check my vdroop tonight. Do as you said, put 1.5 in bios, and tell you the win load voltage (the diff is vdroop from what I understand). My highest stable is 3.2 keeping most things on auto. Let's start there since its easy to modify by there.

***EDIT: I forgot, I already put this info on my first post. My vdroop is 0.9, in all of my cases above, the diff b/w bios voltage and vcore under load is 0.9. So if you figure I need 1.48 to get 3.6, that means my bios vcore has to be set very high 1.57!!!! That sucks!

Btw, I'm using the latest bios (0504), so you should update as well so it's all even. I wonder why i even got the premium since the p5k-e seems to do the same job.... at least it has a pretty heatsink for nb/sb...lol.

Thanks dude.
April 10, 2008 7:13:03 PM

LOL, niiiice, turn Load Line Calibration on!!!!!

Here are the picts of it passing primes test 1, a whole 18 mins or whatever, but hey, if its stable there, its a matter of simple fine tuning now.

1.3250 Loaded: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/13250Loa...

Idle: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/13250idl...

You'll note that I use LLC. My cpuz vcore doesnt change. ;) 

And alot of junk on auto means the job may not be getting done!!

Oh, and you'll need possibly two more vcore steps to be 8 hour stable. Also, note my temps, thats why its so low anyways. I modded my water cooling and it works now!! Yippie!!

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 7:27:28 PM

Wow you already hit 3.6?? What on earth am I doing wrong? Under cpu config, I disabled all settings except for the last two (following the guide in this forum), under jumperfree, I set my vcore to 1.5 , nb.1.55 and it wouldn't get into windows...You must have changed quite a few settings from auto to something.

Can you please post digi cam pictures of ALL of your bios settings you changed?? What vcore did you set in bios? 1.57???

Totally confused here. What settings aren't on auto, I need you to post pics man! I'm excited here.

Your temps are really good, but I'm using the TRUE with a scythe s-flex on it so mine will probably be higher assuming I can actually get into windows once u give me ur settings. :) 

April 10, 2008 10:23:31 PM

LOL, okay... that was on my maximus formula with llc enabled, obviously, and like I said earlier, my VCore in the bios was like 1.4675 or some such, maybe a lil higher. The drop is there, but zero VDroop. Thats why I OC'd it so fast, lol!

Turn off all spread spectrum junk, and all CPU options except for CPU internal cache. NB to 1.45 v, CPU PLL Voltage up 1 over the VCore. if you need a VCore of 1.5000 make sure your CPU PLL is 1.6, Make sure your FSB voltage is somewhat high... Set Ram to auto, FSB to 400, Multi to x 9...

Try that junk if you havent already done it. I can upload pics, but it takes forever!!! And my temps were because its on cheep liquid with my personal mods. ;) 

--Lupi
April 10, 2008 11:33:14 PM

Hey,
Ok I'll try that, but I'm still doubtful, I know i turned all voltages up and still couldn't get int windows...Can you do this on the p5k-e? Maybe the maximum is better than the premium for ocing.

Let me try this out, if not, screenshots are nice (hint hint). Your bios may be diff than mine though with the diff board won't it?

Thx.
April 10, 2008 11:34:54 PM

Why don't you post some screenshots yourself? That way we know what you did wrong. :D 
April 11, 2008 1:13:02 AM

lol I can do that as well, no problem, good idea. I'll try lupi's suggestion and post what is going on with me.
April 11, 2008 1:23:26 AM

I'm on at 5k! LOL!! Screen shots take 10 mins to upload!! I will have my 8 meg connection soon, I hope!! I just wanted to get the CPU vcore requirement out of the way. You want no less that 1.45 While its loaded! It will be more like 1.465 to be 8 hour+ stable is my guess!

Now we know the CPU can do it, barely!

I dont know what yer board can do.. ya see? I can only tell you to do what everyone else does. A Basic 400 FSB x 9 multi, NB to 1.40 or 1.50, CPU PLL 1 point higher than VCore. 1.5000=1.6, no spread spectrum, no CPU options... etc. You could have an obscure field that sets something to On, that shouldnt be for OCing. I dunno about that part!

You have to feel out yer board!

--Lupi!
April 11, 2008 2:35:05 AM

Hey,
Can't post pics tonight but guess what? I booted into windows at 3.6!!! Lupi, I don't know how you figured this out, but it booted up the first time with your settings. Only problem is that it failed prime95 within like 2 mins! haha. I disabled c1e, Max CPUID value limit , Vanderpool, CPU TM function, but left Execute Disable Bit, PECI enabled (as per the OC guide).

Here's the screenshot:

There's no way I'm even trying for 5k, lol, thats cool though man hard to believe! Don't worry bout the pics, I didn't realize you're on a slow connection (how do you have the patience? lol). I set my bios vcore at 1.5, win idle/load is 1.47. The NB is 1.55 (no 1.45) and the PLL is 1.6 as you suggested (this is the one setting I never played with, what does it do?), I also set the fsb voltage to 1.4.

Basically I got into windows with exactly what you suggested (except the two cpu options enabled, but this didn't affect stability, both ways it was unstable). So what's next? I'm at 3.6 but not stable and my temps are under 62!!! Thats incredible.

Thanks for all your help man, I was totally ready to give up. Just need a little more tweaking and I should be stable! Woot!
April 11, 2008 3:37:41 AM

Update: I lowered the fsb 389x9=3.5 and it prime 95 is stable so far (only 10 mins). I did however raise the cpu/nb glt voltage to .67 and .63 (not sure what this does but others mentioned it). I'll test without them at 3.5 and see if it's still stable.

3.5 stable isn't bad at all, I bet I can get 3.6 with a few more tweaks. I wish there was better explanations of all of these settings (a bunch are, but many are not in the guide).

April 12, 2008 4:41:44 AM

Lupi: Any other ideas? You've been workin' wonders here... :) 
April 12, 2008 5:05:49 PM

PLL is a setting used to stablize (offset) the frequency comming from the FSB. That's it in a nutshell but it's acctually very complex and supposedly a CPU is very sensative to high PLL voltage. Do a google search and you can find some good articles on PLL.

I acctually uspet that my bios doesn't offer PLL adjustments.

Here's another thread I like and gives a decent explanation of most voltage adjustments that can be made. http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php/explained...
April 12, 2008 8:55:16 PM

Sure, if it took minutes to fail, ad 2 notches of vcore, That should do it.

Now... because the voltage starts so high, you may encounter the 3.6 to 3.8 syndrome earlier. It may fail again, then again!

To get prime stable from 3.6 @ 1.3000 volts loaded, I needed enough VCore to hit 1.45 Loaded. Thats 22 notches in my Bios! That was the ONLY way it passes primes 8k test. I believe at the 3.6ish area depending on VID, the processor has simply reached its technological limitations, and to go beyond that barrier you need lots of VCore to alleviate the failing logic gates!

The technology simply isnt made for the speeds we want! Some will get it. (Low VID.) Some will not get near it! (high VIDs.) And even a High VID q6700 starting 266 Mhz faster is BARELY stable at 3.6! LOL!!

VID is CPU Gawd!

--Lupi
April 12, 2008 9:00:04 PM

Working wonders, lol! To be honest I was just tired of people always saying that each component OC's differently. I wanted a better explanation, and look what I found!

I am way sure there are other small factors involved in a q6600 performance, but VID seems to be the most critical factor!

As in, since it costs the same for them to make all qxxxx processors in a given series, it doesnt cost anything if someone like dell ordered 100,000 q6600s and intel only had 75,000 on stock, they have been known to re label their q6700s to fill the rest of the order, only after re flashing the chip!

I learned that from a call with intel, BTW! And why not? Think intel sets out to make a "lesser" chip? Hell no! They all start as the highest value, then once tested, intel adjusts their "speed" accordingly.

--Lupi
April 13, 2008 4:49:29 PM

Perp said:
PLL is a setting used to stablize (offset) the frequency comming from the FSB. That's it in a nutshell but it's acctually very complex and supposedly a CPU is very sensative to high PLL voltage. Do a google search and you can find some good articles on PLL.

I acctually uspet that my bios doesn't offer PLL adjustments.

Here's another thread I like and gives a decent explanation of most voltage adjustments that can be made. http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php/explained...

Hey,
Thanks for the link, I couldn't find any info anywhere like this! Too bad you can't adjust pll, believe me , I didn't even know bout the relevance of this until a few days ago...lol.

Lupiron said:
Sure, if it took minutes to fail, ad 2 notches of vcore, That should do it.

Now... because the voltage starts so high, you may encounter the 3.6 to 3.8 syndrome earlier. It may fail again, then again!

To get prime stable from 3.6 @ 1.3000 volts loaded, I needed enough VCore to hit 1.45 Loaded. Thats 22 notches in my Bios! That was the ONLY way it passes primes 8k test. I believe at the 3.6ish area depending on VID, the processor has simply reached its technological limitations, and to go beyond that barrier you need lots of VCore to alleviate the failing logic gates!

The technology simply isnt made for the speeds we want! Some will get it. (Low VID.) Some will not get near it! (high VIDs.) And even a High VID q6700 starting 266 Mhz faster is BARELY stable at 3.6! LOL!!

VID is CPU Gawd!

--Lupi

Hey,
Ok i'll try raising the vcore two more notches as you suggested just for testing purposes :)  .

The vid argument makes sense to me, ( don't know what intel says) a high baseline vid, gives you less room before you reach that max vcore since you're already high to begin with. Logically and the laws of physics support this argument.

Lupiron said:
Working wonders, lol! To be honest I was just tired of people always saying that each component OC's differently. I wanted a better explanation, and look what I found!

I am way sure there are other small factors involved in a q6600 performance, but VID seems to be the most critical factor!

As in, since it costs the same for them to make all qxxxx processors in a given series, it doesnt cost anything if someone like dell ordered 100,000 q6600s and intel only had 75,000 on stock, they have been known to re label their q6700s to fill the rest of the order, only after re flashing the chip!

I learned that from a call with intel, BTW! And why not? Think intel sets out to make a "lesser" chip? Hell no! They all start as the highest value, then once tested, intel adjusts their "speed" accordingly.

--Lupi

Yeah I don't know where you get the chips from (maybe you work in a store lol) but its a good argument. However, I would be not all chips are created equal in processing. Some have lower vids (and are overall more stable) than others, its the normal distribution. So if I'm intel and I have this broad variation in chips, if I can rebrand them, why not? I doubt they are going to make every single chip from scratch... Not the ideal scenario but it seems to be working for them so far.

April 13, 2008 5:44:39 PM

Just something to remember, not all chips will be able to reach 3.6GHz.

I have a Q6600 1.3v VID here that just cannot reach 3.6. I need 1.52v at 3.4GHz (currently) to stay stable for an hour running Orthos, this also needs water cooling or it frys (core temps read -20C till thermal or 75C in coretemp). I have tried 3.6GHz but I had to push things well over 1.6v and the temps just overheated the waterblock and cooling setup.

I currently run at 2.975GHz (425x7) at 1.325v or 3.4GHz (425x8) at 1.525v (1.505v after droop). I may try and fiddle again as I now know what the x67, x61 options do (they adjust the logic level readings of a 1 and a 0, its todo with line ringing and noise rejection)
April 13, 2008 5:54:38 PM

Have you tried playing with the RAM voltage? That was the problem when my E8500 wouldn't boot past 3.4GHz...
April 13, 2008 5:55:46 PM

Hey Qwak:

I couldn't find a stable 3.6 without taking my vcore way too high for my liking (over 1.53). I'm stable at 3.2 though, with most options on auto. I'm playing around with 3.5 but this is kinda silly now. 3.2 is 14 hrs stable, so i might just stick with that, I want to get around to actually PLAYING the games as well! :) 
April 13, 2008 6:00:07 PM

Hmmm, thats interesting. But useful. I think I may need to hunt down info on that... the GTL Vref junk. I think I have x67 x65 x63 in there...

If that is a way to lower the level of "power" required for it to accept it as a 1 and not a 0, that would be awesome. Lowering that threshold SHOULD in crease your OC and technically lower your current VCore needs. Hmmm.... That would be very handy to "stretch" a few more Mhz out of your OC.

Damn 5 k connection and com casts slow speeds for instal of a new connection! waaaahhhh! Surfing the net blows at 5 k!

--Lupi
April 13, 2008 6:31:21 PM

Qwakrz said:
Just something to remember, not all chips will be able to reach 3.6GHz.

I have a Q6600 1.3v VID here that just cannot reach 3.6. I need 1.52v at 3.4GHz (currently) to stay stable for an hour running Orthos, this also needs water cooling or it frys (core temps read -20C till thermal or 75C in coretemp). I have tried 3.6GHz but I had to push things well over 1.6v and the temps just overheated the waterblock and cooling setup.

I currently run at 2.975GHz (425x7) at 1.325v or 3.4GHz (425x8) at 1.525v (1.505v after droop). I may try and fiddle again as I now know what the x67, x61 options do (they adjust the logic level readings of a 1 and a 0, its todo with line ringing and noise rejection)

That's strange, I run a VID 1.3125 Q6600 at 3.6ghz with 1.45vcore, prime95 stable for 5+ hours, and stablized full load at 58 degrees C on air cooling. Pushed it up to 4ghz at 1.65vcore, prime95 stable for 1 hour, stablized full load at 70 degrees C.

Maybe something else is at work here.
April 13, 2008 6:43:29 PM

I suppose this means there's more to it than just the VID? Perhaps a weak part?
April 13, 2008 7:20:08 PM

Evilonigiri said:
I suppose this means there's more to it than just the VID? Perhaps a weak part?

Weak part? Like a bum core? Yeah, I got that one. :na: 
April 13, 2008 7:24:47 PM

dagger said:
Weak part? Like a bum core? Yeah, I got that one. :na: 

Sucks for you! :p 

Still, you managed an impressive OC for such a VID.
April 13, 2008 7:29:18 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Sucks for you! :p 

Still, you managed an impressive OC for such a VID.

I just assumed it was typical, wonder why some of the others did poorly. :p 
April 13, 2008 8:24:44 PM

Dagger:
I tried my q6600 (vid 1.325) bios vcore all the way up to 1.525, and I still couldn't get it prime stable. I had nb at 1.55, sb 1.2, fsb 1.5, pll 1.6 and no go. My temps were up to 67 as well.

I don't know what it is, I'm not comfortable with vcore voltage up over 1.5, and 3.2Ghz is stable with most things on auto (14 hrs) so I might just leave it there with a very minor voltage inc.
April 13, 2008 8:28:46 PM

dignatec said:
Dagger:
I tried my q6600 (vid 1.325) bios vcore all the way up to 1.525, and I still couldn't get it prime stable. I had nb at 1.55, sb 1.2, fsb 1.5, pll 1.6 and no go. My temps were up to 67 as well.

I don't know what it is, I'm not comfortable with vcore voltage up over 1.5, and 3.2Ghz is stable with most things on auto (14 hrs) so I might just leave it there with a very minor voltage inc.

That's good as is. It's not like you'll notice the difference those days anyway.
April 13, 2008 11:55:13 PM

Sounds about right, mine passes primes first test with 1.440, so it may need a lil more, but not much to be stable.

Just so you know, while I may be testing only through primes 8k test, once its stable enough to pass that, and within acceptable VCore limits, it takes maybe one or two more notches in my bios for an 8 hour stable, due to zero droop.

And I just have to much stuff to 8-12 hour test it yet! Even have a new OEM q6600! LOL!

I dunno why he has so much trouble...

Underclock everything but the CPU!

--Lupi
April 13, 2008 11:57:38 PM

Oh, and when I mention a VCore for stability, I am usually meaning under load. So when I say 1.440 thats loaded. If you have a huge VDroop, good luck!

As in, if I was on a 780i with the .06 VDroop... I'd need like 1.5250 in the bios to reach that LOADED droop.

--Lupi!
April 14, 2008 1:47:29 PM

Lupi:
Everything is underclocked. In order to reach 1.48 vcore under load, my bios vcore (with LLC enabled) has to be 1.525 + (1.44 loaded isn't even close to get stability for me) . I'm sure I can raise it more and get it stable at 3.6, but I'm not to keen on hurting the chip. My temps are very good at 3.2 (under 55) and I can play everything all my games at max so I'm happy there. If I could get 3.6 with a lower bios vcore that would have been ideal....

The ram is running 1:1 (ddr2-800, cpu 400x9), and the fsb has to be overclocked to 400fsb (its 333 naive), other than that, nothing else is OC'd when I was trying this.

April 14, 2008 7:09:11 PM

Thats true. LLC still has V Drop. Dont worry about it. It looks like the drop on my board is EXACTLY .2500, but then there is no droop.

1.42500 is exactly 1.4000 in windows. Or so it works on my board. Anyone know if intels Drop is just .2500, before testing and vdroop is applied!

Other than that, I have asked a few people and their 1.32500 VID chips OC with the same voltage as mine! 1.44/1.45 ish under load. There must me something more going on.

I have yet to buy the Lemon chip excuse. I have 7 q6600's now, and a pair of q6700's and none of them have a problem reaching 3.6 just near where I thought it would be!

Now here is a piece of info. There is something that I'll just call 3.6 to 3.8 syndrome. Its where the chip cant really OC without huge amounts of voltage.

Prime stable from 3.6 to 3.8 takes me 26 bios notches! It takes me 8 notches to go from 2.4 to 3.6 with my LOW VID. Then 26 more to be prime stable at 3.8!!

Now the higher VID's start to show 3.6 to 3.8 syndrom early. As a matter of fact, my 1.2625 does not show signs of that syndrome at 3.6. BUT my 1.2750 sure does!! So that means that the VIDs that start at 1.27000 and up will show the syndrome earlier because their VID and off the top voltage requirements are so high!

Hope that helps! It will all be in my review if I ever write it!

--Lupi!
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!