dual core or quad core

StudMuffin06

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
ok im looking to build a new pc and i was looking at the amd quad cores and intels quad core. but as i was reviewing the benchmarks on both cpus i noticed that the amd 6400 dual core passed most of the intels lower end quad cores and beat amds quad cores in most applactions. so my question is should i spend the extra cash and get a quad core or would a dual core set up be fine for now?

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Depends on what kind of software you're using. If you're using software that utilizes all 4 cores, then go with a quad core, if you game mostly and use software that does not utilize more than one or two cores, then get a dual core. I would get a quad core and just OC it if I need the extra juice.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

That's what most people do...

Not like the 6400+ (in my opinion) can keep up with the OC'd 3.6 GHz air-cooled Q6600.

StudMuffin06

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
is the q6600 that good of a processor lol. i see it all the time on the forums and in the benchmarks is did pretty decent better than amd. im not into much overclocking though. i know how to do it but i just don't prefer it. but i will be using the system for gaming mostly. maybe some 3d s max here and there and photoshop