BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, but why?

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
First of all I didn't put the system together I purchased the parts from a computer store and let them put it together.
evga 680i sli lt, evga 8800gt, 1x2Gb crucial 800, q6600, 600watt gamexstream, 320 GB sata and a DVD optical drive.

Now let me get to the problem, for some reason out of no where i will get a BSOD with a message which i do not have enough time to read because it lasts less then a second. I can play games such as crysis fine, i think i played it 3 hours straight before with out any probelms so i don't think theres anything wrong with the hardware, it's most
likely the software. Now when i say the BSOD comes out of nowhere , every single time that i can
remember it's happened differently wether it be me on the internet or the computer just left on during the night i'll go on the computer the next day and notice it's restarted. Now i don't think it's actually happened while playing a game, it usually happens when nothing intense at all is happening

>installed drivers from cd for motherboard
>installed drivers from cd for graphics card, also tried some from online and it still seems to happen
>i did install two case fans which i highly doubt has anything to do with it.

Now everytime it happens I get a Microsoft Erorr report, when i send the error it says it has to do with the drivers.
Heres what was in the error report contents:

c:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS`1\TEMP\WERc8a0.dir00\Mini112507-04.dmp
c:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS`1\TEMP\WERc8a0.dir00\sysdata.xml

The only thing i can think of is thay maybe it has to do something with the 8800GT? Since it is a new Graphics card maybe the motherboard doesn't 100% recongnize it or something. The Bios is new says 2007 so i don't know, the only other Bios for this board that i can find is in 2006 which would probably be worse.

Any suggestions?

i will get a BSOD with a message which i do not have enough time to read because it lasts less then a second.

To set the system to display the error message without restarting automatically:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Open Advanced System Settings and then click on the Advanced tab.
Under Start Up and Recovery click on Settings
Uncheck Automatically restart.

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
ok well it happened again heres what the BSOD error says:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information

Stop:0x000000D1(0x00000008,0x0000002,0x00000000,0xb727581f)

NVTXP.sys-Adress b727581f

Theres was a little more but i didn't bother writing it down.

I have not set the memory voltage and timings yet heres the info on my
memory

Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • 4-4-4-12 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 2.2V • SLI-Ready • 128Meg x 64

Should i go into the bios and change the memory settings or does that BSOD log tell you anything?

The error message is likely to do with your RAM. Try going into BIOS and set the memory voltage to 2.2v and the timings to Mfg. specs. If that doesn't stop the system crashes, try some other RAM and see if the problems resolves. Also, Google the error messages you are getting on the Blue Screen and search for any solutions.

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
0xD1, Hmmm.... Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Yewp, it sounds like we have a driver issue. That or the driver is trying to locate a pagefile in the memory or the IRQ is too high. Anyway, you said that you have installed the driver from the CD right? Ok Have you completely uninstalled it and installed a more recent version? I would think that you have already done that and so it might be that we need to go back to an older driver if you haven't already tried to install the most recent one. If not then you may need to do what badge hinted and do a memtest with a memory testing scanning thingy program. Or just take one RAM stick out and see if it happens and then switch it with the other one and test it.

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I set the memory voltage to 2.2 and timings 4-4-4-12 so if it crashes again i will report back, hopefully it doesn't though. The first drivers i installed for the GPU were ones at Nvidia.com, 169.02 or something
which were for the 8800GT but the drivers from the disc(which i have installed currently) said something like "the drivers were not tested for this hardware" which is odd since those are the drivers that came with the 8800GT =\. Oh and i removed the first drivers and restarted before installing the onse on the CD, the BSOD error happens on both drivers anyways.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL points to either an issue with RAM or with a CPU's cache system.

I had to send back an Opteron 165 once because one of the core's cache was faulty.

Also, the latest Beta drivers are version 169.12, which fixes a couple of issues with the 8800GT, so I would recommend using those.

Best of luck.

Is this happening on Windows Media Center?

I get blue screens sometimes when I start Diablo 2 or Luxor. If it starts, it works perfectly for hours. Some times, but not always, I get the blue screen after I play for a few hours, close the game, do some surfing for an hour or two, then shut down Windows. It's obviously not because of overheating, because the card can cool all right while I surf.

The blue screen mentions nv4_disp.dll, clearly driver issue. (My card is also nVidia, 8800 GTX, btw).

It happens with the WHQL certified drivers from June and with those from November (163.75) and with 163.71 beta.

I'm starting to think I need Windows XP Pro or Win 2000 or Vista... I got XP Media Center 2005 with SP2.

Badge - thanks for the trick about My Computer. Next time I'll finally get a chance to see details, maybe it will help :D

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I'm Running windows XP pro Sp2 so those drivers are no good for me.
so far so good it's only been a couple hours though, i'll leave my computer on all night and report back in the morning, if it's still running then my problem is most likely resolved but only time will tell.

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
**********UPDATE****************

Well I left it on all night and was disapointed to see the BSOD error message again. I did a little more reserach and figured out that the
error message "NVTCP.sys" had to do something with the Nvidia network utility. Other people have had the same problem as me with the same mobo and they said that it only happened when there was heavy networking such as torrenting, which I was doing. So i removed the Nvidia network utility, hopefull this solves my problem, i don't think the memory had to do anything with it after all, should i change the memory settings back or is it faster with the timings changed? Also my temps for my Q6600 G0 seem a little high, 44-48, stock heatsink and all but thats on idle, what do you think?

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
i'll leave my computer on all night again running a torrent, if it hasn't crashed by the morning then it most likely is the nvidia network utility
(keep in mind other people had the same error code and it had to do with networking not GPU) besides i have the newest stable drivers from nvidia.com for my 8800gt so i doubt that it has anything to do with the drivers but then again you never know.

My Q6600 G0 idles at 31 (with ambient 24), but it's got a Scythe Ninja and 5 case fans helping. I think 44-48 is acceptable. Not great, but it shouldn't cause crashes.

Edit: Your BSOD is related to your nVidia 680i motherboard, not to the video card. You should look at the motherboard drivers, rather than the 8800GT drivers.

Silly idea: maybe you could borrow or buy a cheap network card and install it. That may solve the crashes because the nVidia drivers (including nvtcp.sys) would not be used any more.

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I dont need a network card i still have the evga ethernet drivers just not the little nvidia firewall thing which is not needed anyways considering i have windows firewall enabled.Hopefully no more crashes i have bitcoment on now if it lasts 24 hours without a BSOD i think the problem's fixed.

n1ckna5

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
PLEASE can some1 help me
specs: amd athlonx2 +4000 , ati eah2600pro, 1gb ddr2, asus m2v motherboard, xp home

i just got crysis but as some as i click play it comes up in a blue screen grrr it says it's 0x000000se
i have no idea what that is i just think that it is something to do with my ram
if so is it faulty or do i need more ?
before this about 2 months ago i loaded on vista and the same blue screen came up for every game battlefield and counter strike

someone please help it is just sitting in my room crying for me to play it !!

You could add a second GB of RAM. It should help, especially on Vista. However, I don't think you're getting a blue screen because there's too little RAM. Also, if the RAM were defect you'd get crashes at other times too, not just when starting games.

Driver issue, most likely. Post a screenshot of the blue screen, or type the interesting part. Maybe ATI's drivers are bad too...

n1ckna5

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
ok thanx

i tried xp - same outcome
i tried a 8600gt - same outcome

although when i plug my speakers into the normal jack it works !!!
i wonder what the hell is going on ????

tried all the drivers

it still freezes randomly though ....

but y ????

windows says turn hardware acceleration off but then wats the point of a graphics card ....

help....someone.....please...

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
@odet: I had the same issues with NAM (Network Access manager.)
@n1ckna5: Have you tried updating your drivers? More specifically those aimed towards a network card or modem? Also, are you running any kind of overclock? Are you using onboard audio?