Black screen with blinking cursor after power on post.

garryg11

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Hi everyone,

I built a decent computer system for myself almost a year now. A few weeks ago, I wanted to have to use two monitors with ATI Radeon 9250, so I bought a DVI/VGA adapter. But I couldn't get both monitors working at at the same time. Since I have a brand new ASUS EAX1300HM512 video card, I figured I'd install and that would do the trick. Well that did not work.

Then I tried adding both cards on the MOBO, I could not get both monitors working (I'm sure it was user error). Then I removed the EAX1300 on reboot...from that point on the computer kept rebooting after I logon to Windows. I was able to access the computer through safe mode. After several weeks of using my backup pc, I thought I would try to resolve this problem.

I removed the MOBO's battery then put it back. Now the computer powers on and posts, I am able to see the bios but after that I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

At this point I don't know what to do. Or how to get my system back up to its original state. Could someone please help me get my PC up and running again?

System Specs:

MOBO: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Bios: 1305
Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 3E, 800MHZ, 2.66GHz
RAM: Corsair 2 Gigs
Hard Drives: 2 Samsung SP 250 Gig, RAID 0
1 Floppy drive
1 Samsung Writemaster CD/DVD drive

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I really don't know.

I had a problem like that with an A8N32-SLI, and I talked with some Asus tech support guys, and they said to just RMA the board.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
If you can boot in safe mode. Do that and remove video driver. Also in BIOS make sure you have the correct setting for your video card. Like if you have onboard video ON but are pluged into your video card.

Good Luck

atarsys

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Sometimes the BIOS loses track of the boot sector (you lose your on board battery, your BIOS gets zapped by a cosmic ray, etc). In such case, reflashing the BIOS restores the boot sequence.