P5K Deluxe and problems with OCZ Reaper memory

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
I built this machine ( see configuration) all at once all parts purchased from Micro center I run system hard almost 24/7. I have burnt 2 Asus P5K deluxe motherboards 1st one seamed to be ok for about a month then it started with blue screens and failed starts where it would just reboot at 1st signs of windows starting even in safe mode start ups. Eventually it would do anything on power up no post nothing. Micro center warranted board and I paid them to reinstall and check system. Within 3 days, it started same thing blue screens and wouldn’t start brought back and must have started right up for them after sitting. Gave back to me, claimed not to do anything Within 2weeks, it would just lock up or shut down and when it would come back up I would get windows recovered from error restarted it self. Then it wouldn’t come back on no post no nothing. I troubleshooted some by removing memory and it gave proper tone for no memory replaced and removed vid card no nothing. Called Asus They stated that the board was getting as far as memory and the problem was either in power supply, memory controller or rail, or memory itself. That it was very good Memory but the memory was “too tough” for this board uses to high voltage and might have even burnt out board or some part of power supply. Micro center who recommend all parts even though memory is not on board QVL list insists that it is Asus way of drawing attention off that they produced 2 bad boards. When it was running I ran some bench marks on it 3D mark 06 it didn’t perform well for what it is at all 8,000 and low 9,000. They are putting in another p5k board (free). I would like to know who is correct on this, Asus or Micro center? I would like to also eventually overclock a bit when system is stable.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Specs are here in side panel click more info and view configuration will post them again just i case they cant be seen
Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Liquid Cooling System for CPU
1) 80mm rear case fan
1) 40 mm rear hd fan
1) 40 mm top of case
1) 80 mm hd fan front
3) 80 radiator fans in front of case
ThermalTake Power supply 750w
ASUS P5K Deluxe with heatpipe heatsink fan
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600
Vista 64 ultimate
OCZ Reaper 8500 4g installed
ATI Radeon HD 2900 xt
1) WD raptor 74g 16m operating system
3 ) WD raptor 74g 8m
2 ) WD Sata II 500g

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Wow. Have you tries a PSU calculator? Yours is pretty big but you are drawing loads of power. And forgot your DVD drive/s? You might be drawing to much power off a specific rail that is causing problems.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Plus when talked to there tech told that it was plenty if not blown out somewhere from memory and micro center has seen machine now 3x and just tested it according to them it is fine

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Each plug on the chain will draw less and less power, and too many on one chain will harm the system. If you plugged your whole house into one outlet it would blow the breaker. Same thing. Its obviously not fine if theve seen it 3 times. Asus might have a bad board here and there but not hree in a row. You got to be overloading a rail which would cause freezes and restarts. And the freezes and restarts can corrupt your hard drive, which might be why the blue screens started right away.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
there is only 3 things max on any one wire i understand and appreciate what your saying but will it cause a motherboard to fail and never restart as well as if you change motherboards for all to work fine again for a period of time PS this board will be 3rd they are putting in now. Thety are arguing if is memory or 2 bad boards. Micro center checked power suppy ( i hope under load) both times and said fine and asus says they think that a thermaltake power supply is a good one and 750 is more than good. I hope They have enough smarts ?? not to overlook an issue like that. But they did say (asus) that the issue they are talking about can cause the power supply to go bad or malfunction I still am sitting here scratchin my head. This by all means not overclocked should be an awsome running machine and i am lucky if i can get it started or keep it running

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well it is possible your chains are under volting or causing a surge and over volting, you could ruin the mobo or psu. It is possible the psu got damaged and it is frying all boards attatched to it.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
So the question is what do i do what till one of them gets smart enough to figure it out while they both figure it out or how do i figure it out and tell them so they listen I am do to get it back maybe tommorrow The tech says he wants to burn it in 1st make sure all is ok but i am so sick and tired of return trips it aint funny not to metion it is huge and wieghts a ton

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
ok but do you think the ram can be an issue with the board burning out as asus said it might be the original question????

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
LOL now that is funny will let you know after i get back machine was told tommorrow at latest. Unless it blows another board during burn in.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
did some reading on OCZ forum http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com while waiting there is a multitude of instances with Ocz and p5k all almost exactly what i am talking about except board may not be dead. Wonder if tec tried putting different mem to see if it came back to life. There they where talking about voltages and the crash free bios setting it back to 1.8v and that why it wont come back on. But I do network and software for a living not hardware. Just a novice here would appreciate any help i could get.. With the idea should I scrap this mem or board (at micro center expense they recommended it) or can i get this thing to work at its true potenial.

scorpio58

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Ok picked up computer from Micro center. Say swapped out mem 1st no post then vid card no post. Installed new mobo ran tests and said they then noticed system was only reporting 3 chips installed. Swapped that out (the 1st one they checked there known good turned out to be bad ) used another worked fine then they installed new chip and burnt-in board they say heavy and it is now working "great" Thsy say about to find out

naveeed

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
There is know issue between AUS Mobos, and OCZ Memories.
Search for right voltage for the memory (2.1 V etc.,) and select right Memory voltage (Overclock) in ASUS Motherboard BIOS. Hope the problem will be solved.