new cooler issue -> is this normal??

q149

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Hi all!

I've just returned from my computer dealer who built in a Zalman CNPS9700 NT CPU cooler on my system.

As you can see on the picture, the fan and the heatsink are not parallel. The picture shows that the left side of the fan is higher than the right side.

IMG_0313a.jpg

I noticed this because when I first booted my computer, I heard a rattling noise from the CPU cooler as well. I could fix this by slightly changing its orientation.

So what are your opinions on the fan/heatsink not being parallel? I this something I have to complain about to my dealer?[/img]

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Just check to make sure its pressed down against the CPU tightly. It can move, and I have a zalman as well, and it could rotate a slight amount to the left and right, but it was firmly fastened against the IHS of the CPU, so its not a problem. Are your temps nice and low?

If you DL one of the free tools, like HWMonitor, you can easily watch the temps, and you'll know right away if its not on correctly! (Or just push firmly down on the top of the cooler, making it press tighter against the CPU and see if the temps go down! If they drop a more than 1 c, then tighten it!)

--Lupi

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Lol, that's not a good sign. The fan should be parallel to the heatsink no matter how much you messed up installation. You should RMA it for a new one, especially if you hear rattling. Also, why are your heatsink fan and case fan drawing air in opposite directions? Aim them in the same direction. It may add to the noise, but it's better. :p

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Well, it's possible to twist a TRUE around a little, so why not the Zalman?

Anyways, dagger is right about the cooler facing the wrong way. It's better if you face it the other way so the back fan will help the cooler, creating a push-pull effect. This can lower your temps a bit.