Sign in with
Your question

Best $30 AGP card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2007 6:41:31 PM

I recently sold my friend an old computer for web surfing purposes. The graphics card I put in was old (a 3D Rage Pro I think), the processor is a Celeron 900. He has been complaining that youtube videos run choppy, but they run fine on his Pentium III (under 1 Ghz, close enough to the Celeron) computer with integrated graphics. Because of the similarity of the processors, this has led me to believe that the graphics card is at fault for the quality of his videos, so I was wondering, what is a good AGP card for $30 USD or less, that is not heavy on power requirements? I have seen an FX 5200 on Newegg for $30, which should be fine for waht he needs, but I have also seen a 6200 for the same price, and some Radeon 9250's for $30, but I am not sure how they compare to the GeForces. So what I am really asking is, can he get something at the 5200 level for like $20 bucks, or if he must pay $30, whats the best he can do?

More about : agp card

December 2, 2007 6:56:15 PM

I don't think the graphics card is at fault. More likely bandwidth.
December 2, 2007 7:11:51 PM

the MSI FX5600 got the Tom's Hardware Editor's Choice
about 4 or 5 years ago. i bought that one and the 5200.

if you can get one used working, the ATI 9800 is a
good video card.
Related resources
December 2, 2007 10:23:37 PM

Do not get an open box.
December 2, 2007 11:23:23 PM

Youtube (Flash) doesn't work the GPU.
December 2, 2007 11:44:51 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I doubt the problem stems from the GPU. Its got to be bandwidth. Either the internet coming into the house is too slow, your router is too slow, or your onboard ethernet card is too slow. If you're using wireless internet, there could be a problem there as well.
December 3, 2007 12:31:01 AM

jjblanche said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I doubt the problem stems from the GPU. Its got to be bandwidth. Either the internet coming into the house is too slow, your router is too slow, or your onboard ethernet card is too slow. If you're using wireless internet, there could be a problem there as well.

its not the bandwith, youtube gets buffered, it would just take a long ass time if it was bandwith. flash stresses cpu...
December 3, 2007 12:39:37 AM

If he could play the youtube video with onboard graphics then the card does not seem to be the problem. But if you want to upgrade to something better get the 6200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just bought one for an old system I have in my livingroom and plays roms and video great.
!