Sign in with
Your question

This is what dumb people buy from alienware...16,000+

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2007 12:49:16 AM

I was going to look up retail price for all those and then build something worth 16k if you built it yourself...

But why bother? Everyone knows its way OVERPRICED! and there is no way in hell that anyone in there right minds would buy something like that.
December 3, 2007 1:15:50 AM

Hmmm, Car, Computer, or Child Support?
Related resources
December 3, 2007 2:14:31 AM

Tax write off... :oops: . o O (J/K!!)
December 3, 2007 2:20:45 AM

Well Ryan, I'm guessing that rig in your sig didn't exactly come cheep, so I'm already a little green. Had you said you had bought that alienware job, I'd positively hate you.
btw, why do you have 4 gigs of ram on a 32 bit os?
December 3, 2007 3:44:55 AM

i have 4gigs cause im moving over to a 64 bit soon...i just wanted to get ready
December 3, 2007 4:28:10 AM

remember, you cant upgrade to a 64bit os from a 32bit os
December 3, 2007 4:37:45 AM

you can get a new os though.
December 3, 2007 5:25:02 AM

in their defense, you did add like every game, the best speakers, mouse, god knows how many terabyte drives, etc. Even if you did that **** over at Dell, it would come up to $10k+.

See:

I'm no Alienware fanboy, but it annoys me to death when people go on the internet "Lol, he prolly bought an Alienware, amirite?!"
December 3, 2007 5:36:23 AM

I just wish that Alienware sold their cases, i think they're sweet as.
December 3, 2007 6:30:14 AM

Well if you carefully read what everything is in that order, no doubt this price.
Ofcourse its litle overpriced as all alienware, but i doubt you will save more then 20-30% buing good quality components.
December 3, 2007 6:40:38 AM

Ironsoap said:
in their defense, you did add like every game, the best speakers, mouse, god knows how many terabyte drives, etc. Even if you did that **** over at Dell, it would come up to $10k+.

See:

http://i2.tinypic.com/6p8xusl.jpg

I'm no Alienware fanboy, but it annoys me to death when people go on the internet "Lol, he prolly bought an Alienware, amirite?!"

I dont want to defend alienware, prefer my own builds, but compared to dell they offer 24/7 onsite 4 year support and waranty whitch is probably most expensive part of that system, dell offer only 1-3 year waranty depending on components and without onsite support.
December 3, 2007 7:25:16 AM

xrodney said:
I dont want to defend alienware, prefer my own builds, but compared to dell they offer 24/7 onsite 4 year support and waranty whitch is probably most expensive part of that system, dell offer only 1-3 year waranty depending on components and without onsite support.

Dell own Alienware(so technically they do offer 4yr support....), its their premium brand, similar to Toyota and Lexus. Obviously some things are gonna be better if your buying the premium brand product.

However if I had 10grand to spend every four yrs on a computer, the smart thing to do would be buy a new computer every 2yrs for 5grand or every year for 2.5 grand, and not bother at all with 4yr support.
December 3, 2007 7:48:10 AM

Ironsoap said:

See:

http://i2.tinypic.com/6p8xusl.jpg

Yeah that has 2 solid state drives in raid 0 for the main, and 2tb for storage, thats alot right there, lol!
December 3, 2007 8:47:40 AM

Maybe we can suggest this alienware rig to the pigheaded poster (NeoxBlu1) wanting to buy the 4000usd rig.

This one looks much better then his crappy 4000usd build.
December 3, 2007 9:05:07 AM

quantumsheep said:

They do sell them.

They come standard with one of their systems!!!! :D 
December 3, 2007 9:06:10 AM

ramo said:
Maybe we can suggest this alienware rig to the pigheaded poster (NeoxBlu1) wanting to buy the 4000usd rig.

Might be JUST outside his budget....
Unless he can score more cash from daddy....
December 3, 2007 9:58:12 AM

ryanthesav said:
This is what dumb people buy from alienware...16,000+
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/readtimethis/dum...
hahaha I wonder if anyone really has this build??!!!

Not dumb people, not by any means. Just people who have more money than they have the time or technical skills to put a box together at half the price (give or take a few thou), and don't have a fourteen year old Russian kid next door to build it for them. If you ever make it to middle age and achieve at least some degree of success in your career, you by then will probably understand how priorities can change and how things that used to seem perfectly practical suddenly don't seem quite so. Maybe to this extreme, maybe not, but you'll understand eventually.

The folks that can casually drop thousands for a new rig are the same folks that pay me hundreds of dollars to "set up" those new rigs while showing me their sixty inch plasma screens set into custom cherry built-ins in their million dollar condos. How dumb can they be if they're rolling in that much money? Meanwhile I'm not complaining ;-). It helped pay for my RAID-10 set of Raptors, etc...

And as others have pointed out, there's the warranty and support that comes with all that money. Anyone with sixteen grand to blow on a PC surely doesn't have the time or wherewithal to feck around on these forums trying to figure out why their box is puffing smoke like chitty-chitty-bang-bang. Just different priorities, is all. They wanna call someone and say "fix it" and move on to other more pressing things like deciding whether their new Subzero should be cliche stainless or customized to match their imported tiles.

-B
December 3, 2007 9:58:48 AM

4 years support. For a company that's fine, but for gamers? Do they include free upgrades to cpu, ram and video cards?

You know, 4 years ago is like ancient. Most games run at medium or low on high end computers from back then.

I wanted to lease a printer for my company. The same shop also leased computers. I asked them, do I get upgrades with computers. No was the answer. I'm not going to lease computers for 3-5 years without upgrades, even for my office. I can build cheaper, more reliable systems.

I say every 2 years you need to buy a new system if you want to game. More then 2 years is useless. I would even say, get the standard package for 1 year and with the money you safe buy a new one/components again.
December 3, 2007 10:19:28 AM

Its not overpriced... you get 100 bucks instant savings
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2007 10:35:30 AM

It's all relative. Remember when Bill Gates built his $50,000,000 home? If he had to make a house payment vs his income, it would be like the average Joe having $50 mortgage payments.

Moto 2 phone? $100 now? You can buy one now that is covered in diamonds for a sweet $160,000. Or 4 diamond 24" Dubs for 1.2 mil, they throw a low end Bently in free!

Peeps do spend that kinda money, and it's all about how much they have and what I don't have.
December 3, 2007 11:25:48 AM

Firms like Alienware, Voodoo and Falcon Northwest cater to those of us who have the cash, but don't have the time. Life is all about compromises, years ago, I had the time to tinker with my systems putting them together my self. Now I have the disposable income but not the time to tinker. :)  You are'nt just paying the price for those components and software, you are paying someone else to use their time to put it together and then to support it.

Try to broaden your prospective. Not everyone is a starving Student/Artist/Minimum Wage worker.

There is nothing wrong with people who have the time AND the cash puttering around with their hobby, nor those who are on more limited budgets, but quit ragging on people who have more cash than free time.
They deserve to be able to get top end systems too ya know.
December 3, 2007 11:28:37 AM

trinix said:
4 years support. For a company that's fine, but for gamers? Do they include free upgrades to cpu, ram and video cards?

You know, 4 years ago is like ancient. Most games run at medium or low on high end computers from back then.

I wanted to lease a printer for my company. The same shop also leased computers. I asked them, do I get upgrades with computers. No was the answer. I'm not going to lease computers for 3-5 years without upgrades, even for my office. I can build cheaper, more reliable systems.

I say every 2 years you need to buy a new system if you want to game. More then 2 years is useless. I would even say, get the standard package for 1 year and with the money you safe buy a new one/components again.

Actually I know that Voodoo and Falcon both will do hardware upgrades for you and in some cases, give you discounts and rebates for the old hardware.
December 3, 2007 11:37:39 AM

the same way people buy lamborghinis and corvettes..
id say to show off and have the easy way...
not many people wants to build their computer form scratch.
December 3, 2007 12:18:18 PM

I suppose its OK to buy a PC ready built for $16000 if you can afford it lol... but even if i could - think i'd still prefer to build my own, theres nothing like the satisfaction ya get when ya power on for the first time and get a successfull POST.
December 3, 2007 12:33:28 PM

Alienware has it's place in the world. It is meant for the people that have more money than they know what to do with. But, that doesn't mean that they are not a waste of money... they really are. You can save a lot of money building yourself, or having some other PC company build it for you. Do you get the "cool" case (I quoted that, because I don't think they are really that cool anymore) when you buy from Ibuypower or Monarch? No, but who cares. I mean, you will get more performance per dollar from these other companies, so why bother with Alienware?
December 3, 2007 1:01:13 PM

Errr... wait. 16K PC does not compute with comparing them with cars.

For example, you can build a PC, but when it comes down to a Lamborghini's and Corvettes, that is entirely harder to build. Not to mention buying the parts. :lol: 

And if I had 16K to mess with, it would be very hard to spend all of it on building a new PC for myself. :lol: . o O (I'd prolly still pick out some cheapy stuff)
December 3, 2007 1:48:22 PM

It's even sadder when you realize that in 2 years, a $4000 system will stomp it into the ground.... or in 4 years it'll be a worthless pile of crap.
December 3, 2007 1:56:32 PM

rodney_ws said:
It's even sadder when you realize that in 2 years, a $4000 system will stomp it into the ground.... or in 4 years it'll be a worthless pile of crap.

Lol yeah that is very sad...
December 3, 2007 2:49:30 PM

quantumsheep said:

Check out e-bay. You can pick up an Alienware there fairly cheap and have their case. I've seen them for as little as $400, including a water cooling system. Of course, you still have to add a new mobo, cpu, etc to bring a used one up to date, but that's a place you can get a case.
December 3, 2007 3:30:58 PM

bberson said:
Not dumb people, not by any means. Just people who have more money than they have the time or technical skills to put a box together at half the price (give or take a few thou), and don't have a fourteen year old Russian kid next door to build it for them. If you ever make it to middle age and achieve at least some degree of success in your career, you by then will probably understand how priorities can change and how things that used to seem perfectly practical suddenly don't seem quite so. Maybe to this extreme, maybe not, but you'll understand eventually.

The folks that can casually drop thousands for a new rig are the same folks that pay me hundreds of dollars to "set up" those new rigs while showing me their sixty inch plasma screens set into custom cherry built-ins in their million dollar condos. How dumb can they be if they're rolling in that much money? Meanwhile I'm not complaining ;-). It helped pay for my RAID-10 set of Raptors, etc...

And as others have pointed out, there's the warranty and support that comes with all that money. Anyone with sixteen grand to blow on a PC surely doesn't have the time or wherewithal to feck around on these forums trying to figure out why their box is puffing smoke like chitty-chitty-bang-bang. Just different priorities, is all. They wanna call someone and say "fix it" and move on to other more pressing things like deciding whether their new Subzero should be cliche stainless or customized to match their imported tiles.

-B

There is no better way of saying it. Well said. :hello: 
December 3, 2007 7:53:19 PM

I bet its a bug.

However when it comes to super-high-end pcs, some people want BOTTOM DOLLAR and assemble it themselves for a few grand.... then again my co-worker just bought a comp almost identical to the one i pieced together for same price. He spent no time assembling, installing, hardware issues, i spent lots of time. So question is: should we save a hundred bucks or should we avoid the headake?

Plus as you guys said in a few yrs the comp is garbage, and in that time they will probably buy another one for that price. They don't care that you guys can make a comp last 4 yrs for bottom dollar, much like I don't care that you can make your car run on peanuts and cotton candy, I simply don't have the know-how to do anything with a car engine, just as someone inexperienced may not know that you pay 1000 dollars for the ailenware brand.
December 3, 2007 8:17:46 PM

ramo said:

LOL i hope hes reading this and hopefully realises how silly hes been
December 3, 2007 8:22:39 PM

There's only three types of people that buys those overpriced pc: Ignorant, stupid, or just plain rich. I think people who buy em buys them for the name. Alienware do sell budget pcs you know, but they aren't worth it.
a c 123 à CPUs
December 3, 2007 9:11:09 PM

I did a bit of research when building my current rig at Alienware/Dell/Falcon so on and for what would have been top end(minus the dual video cards) but a QX6850, 4GB DDR2 PC8500(crappy brand too), 1TB hard drives, no monitor keyboard or speakers would have cost $8500.

I went to Newegg and built the same system with a better mobo, better ram and better(faster too) hard drives for $3000. A $5500 savings and I even decided to water cool it too and it was still $5000 cheaper. Funny thing is that build would have smoked anything Alienware puts out since it would have had a better mobo, better ram and faster harddrives.

Anything built by some company is over priced except their low ends. Hell I spent $1500 on my current rig and it would have cost $2500-$3000 through Dell/HP/Falcon/Alienware. Its the name. Just like a Lincoln. Same as a Ford just a pricy name. Same goes for Chrysler(Dodge), Cadillac(GM/Chevy), Infinity(Nissan), Acura(Honda), Lexus(Toyota). Only thing is your case doesn't come with leather trim.
December 3, 2007 9:14:52 PM

Evilonigiri said:
There's only three types of people that buys those overpriced pc: Ignorant, stupid, or just plain rich. I think people who buy em buys them for the name. Alienware do sell budget pcs you know, but they aren't worth it.

It still bears repeating that some people don't have time to build, nor the inclination to learn. They don't want to deal with noise reduction strategies or heat dissapation rates. Some people don't have time to deal with setting up watercooling or do the testing to find the best overclock. I'm starting to get into that category myself and I DO know how to build.

I've actually got a fair bit of gear on the shelf in my home office to put into my rig that I've simply not had the time for, with a career, pregnant wife, young kids, long commutes, on call duty, one of those massive SF mortgages, blah bla blah.

I'm at the point in my life where often I'd rather just throw money at something to make it right. It's easier and more convenient.

For me, reliability has overtaken pure performance as my main goal in my machines. Yes, I'm getting old.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2007 9:21:21 PM

Duplicated thread I see...

Anyway my post from the other thread.

If you look at it carefully what jacked up the price are those solid state disk drives.
Takes those out and replace them with Raptors and you'll see the price drop dramatically.

On newegg 2 128GB SSD cost $6,998.00!
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2007 9:51:43 PM

FUNNY :lol:  :lol: 
!