Chipset temperature

Iain1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I have an old 939 board, CK804K8MA-KS, with a small problem. It's made by Foxconn http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000032 \

It's an nForce4 chipset and the chipset fan is only working periodically. I checked in the bios and the temp is 44C. I seem to recall that a chipset can run just fine at 50C.

Obviously I will be replacing the fan but given that it's Dec 17th already I'd be unlikely to be able to one before christmas.

Is it ok to run this computer? What is a tolerable upper limit for this chipset?

Thanks

Iain1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
The sound it makes suggests that all is not well.

I'll be buying another fan but was really just wondering about how hot is it OK to run. I seem to remember that up to 60C is OK but ~50C is common. When the fan runs the temp is 44C which I presume is normal.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I got to fix one thats making noise tomorrow. It had a small HS with a crappy fan. It works but it makes a high pitched noise. Im going to check temps with just the HS. If not I bought a aftermarket HS that is pretty big and should work.

Does it go off and on? or does it run then just die?

Maybe you have a motherboard setting(similar to the Qfan asus uses) that is doing that. turning this off would stop this from happening.....It should(if you have one) be under hardware monitor. Is the fan loud when it runs?