Sign in with
Your question

Monitoring program, and stability test

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2007 9:02:54 PM

Can anyone suggest a good program to monitor my graphic card temperature with? Apart from nTune (which i read some very bad things about, like corrupting bios or killing hardware), i couldn't find a program that could do so.

Also, for stability testing, is it safe to simply run the graphic tests on 3dMark?
December 2, 2007 9:05:25 PM

If you really dont like NTUNE than get speedfan. It monitors everything and you can minimize it to the tray.

3dmark06 is the best for stability tests besides obviously NTUNE...
Related resources
December 11, 2007 12:06:50 AM

With Riva you can also monitor your CPU core temps with the plugin.
December 11, 2007 1:52:53 PM

Thanks for the info.
December 11, 2007 1:57:22 PM

ATItool

Stresses, scans for artifacts and displays temperature. Despite the name it is a good tool for Nvidia cards.

December 11, 2007 2:08:29 PM

Be aware both Rivatuner and ATItool can damage your card, be careful.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2007 2:38:21 PM

ATItool won't work on my Diamond HD3870; installs but hangs on loading and/or displays garbage characters in the little info bubble when you mouse over the system tray icon, like "J.#". Have tried loading it twice. No other video drivers on my system.
December 12, 2007 4:54:32 AM

It probably needs an update. They will get to it sooner or later.
December 12, 2007 2:10:22 PM

Zorg said:
Be aware both Rivatuner and ATItool can damage your card, be careful.

I've used and use both and have never damaged a card. How do they cause damage, over overclocking? You really should explain that more.
December 12, 2007 3:47:38 PM

love the piccy NO1sFanboy :)  Clarkson rocks! and so does the atom hes driving in that pic
December 12, 2007 7:27:45 PM

Thx, living here in the colonies I have to resort to You-tube and torrents for my Top Gear. I always refer my two wheel loving friends to the Atom vs. bike race. And Clarkson, only he and my dog can make jowls flapping in the wind look like fun.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2007 11:25:22 PM

^Not really. The ATiTool's "San For Artifacts" is able to heat up the GPU more than the Rthdribl .
December 13, 2007 4:51:36 AM

No1sFanboy said:
I've used and use both and have never damaged a card. How do they cause damage, over overclocking? You really should explain that more.
I'm no expert on this, so that's why I use caution when I use either. Mainly it is overclocking and stress testing that can fry them. Also the fan settings can stop the fans spinning which will also fry them. Apparently soft modding in Riva to unlock pipes can also damage the cards. This is a warning that comes up when you select the "Power User" tab in Riva, and I don't think they are joking.

December 13, 2007 11:09:45 AM

It all depends on how you do it i guess, overclocking too much can damage your hardware no matter what you use. I never had any damage with NTune, but reading all the bad things about it made me uninstall it. I never messed with the power user tab, as I'm not that experienced, but its good for basic clock increase.
!