Low SM scores with 8800GT

hawkinsa21

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Hey guys,

first post so be nice :lol:

Just got a new system, and have been benching using SuperPi and 3DMark06... and I seem to get low SM2.0 and 3.0 scores... now, I am aware that others have posted for low scores already, but the answers to their questions were that their CPU was limiting their progress. I have a quad core CPU.

Here is my system:

Q6600 @ stock
Gainward 8800GT @ stock
ABit IP35 Pro
Tagan 900W
2 x 1Gb Corsair Dominator @ 5-5-5-15

I have seen systems with the same CPU and GPU, same speed memory getting 10 - 11K... @ stock speeds...

I am only reaching 9027 @ stock - quite a difference

Now, after much troubleshooting and scouring the net, it seems my CPU score is about right... its around 3500-3600, which for a Q6600 @ stock is correct.

I am falling down on the SM2.0 and SM3.0 scores... I get around 3400 for SM2.0 and around the same for SM3.0... but others using the same CPU @ stock and same GPU @ stock, are getting mid 4K on both these...

I have up to date drivers as well... currently on 169.02 and have tried others as well.

I use driver cleaner for each new driver I change too

My OS is Vista Home Premium.

My FPS in games are fine, but I can't (as no-one really can) differentiate between +/- 10FPS when playing at over 60FPS... but, FRAPS shows my average in F.E.A.R @ 1600x1200 all settings high, as around 55 - 65FPS... and other benchmarks on the same system spec are hitting over 75-80FPS...

I know 3DMark06 isn't the bee all and end all of benching, and isn't totally accurate, but SM scores that are about 1000 less than nearly identical systems, neither of which are OC'd, seems bizarre to me.

Expertool for the record, reports good temps and correct MHz for all settings.

Am I mad, or is there something I need to change in Vista or on my cards settings / Nvidia panel to get better scores?

I have installed all current Vista updates, including the one for degraded Vista DX9 & 10 performance... just concerned that my new card could be dodge or faulty in some way, although I'd expect to see that in Expertool and it probably wouldn't even work at all if it were faulty.

Thanks guys

Alex

hawkinsa21

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks to the advertisement who replied, but unfortunately it wasn't the answer I was looking for...

After finding the answer to this myself, I thought I'd post it, and am surprised that none of the guru's here clocked it first time :p

Never built a ring on PCI-e before, and didn't realise that the PCIE2 slot was only 4x... put it in PCIE1, and got the full x16

:D happy man now