Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about copy of window 7

Last response: in Windows 7
August 22, 2011 4:06:46 AM

Currently, i have a laptop and an old pc that have copy of Window 7 on it. And i am currently ordering part to build my new gaming rig.
My question: Is there anyway i can bring over my window 7 from my Old PC drive to my new one? or from my laptop to my new rig?

Its seems like a waste of money to buy new OS when i already have 2 of them.

Maybe I am able to just move over the old HDD and use it on my new rig?
If that is possible, then how will i move OS file to the new SSD i am going to use?

Thank you for your help.
Purepenny

More about : question copy window

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2011 4:44:47 AM

No

1. If your window is OEM, one copy of window can only be installed to one computer at anytime and is locked to that computer.
2. If your window is retail, one copy of window can only be installed to one computer at anytime but you can install it on different computer as long as one copy is not installed on multiple computer at the same time. (Family pack allow three)
3. You will run into driver problem and the os is unlikely to work.

So you have to buy window or go linux and start with a new installation.
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2011 5:13:38 AM

As Pyree hinted at its possible. You probably don't want to move the laptop drive as its a different form factor. If the old harddrive is a retail edition then you can. You'll need to change the harddrive driver to windows default, and make sure its not using AHCI or RAID. Remove as many of the other onboard drivers as you can but DON'T reboot when it tells you too. Pull the drive and move it over. Windows will probably take a long time to boot back up but it should do it. If its OEM (came with the computer) then it will have issues activating and you'll have to talk MS into giving you a new number. Not unheard of but not a for sure either.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2011 5:16:34 AM

purepenny said:
Currently, i have a laptop and an old pc that have copy of Window 7 on it. And i am currently ordering part to build my new gaming rig.
My question: Is there anyway i can bring over my window 7 from my Old PC drive to my new one? or from my laptop to my new rig?

Its seems like a waste of money to buy new OS when i already have 2 of them.

Maybe I am able to just move over the old HDD and use it on my new rig?
If that is possible, then how will i move OS file to the new SSD i am going to use?

Thank you for your help.
Purepenny

You could possibly mirror the OS to a new drive, but it would detect the new hardware and you would have to call microsoft to activate windows on the new pc. That is usually a pretty painless process, but necessary. Also you would have the problems mentioned above with drivers.

What you could do is manually uninstall all the drivers (If you know what you're looking for) before you move the OS to the new hard drive. Then install the drivers for the new motherboard, video, etc. Popular software for this would Acronis True image, although there are free alternatives out there.

Bottom line however is most folks me included recommend doing a fresh install on new equipment. There is always some low level stuff that happens on a fresh windows install that will lead to headaches if you try to use an existing installation. I buy my own versions of windows so I can do fresh installs several times as necessary. If you have a windows disc, that is the way to go.
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2011 5:18:22 AM

BTW, when you call MS, tell them your computer broke and you needed a new motherboard. They'll give you a new code.
Score
August 22, 2011 9:08:08 AM

Now, what is the different between the 3 versions of window 7?
Score
September 1, 2011 2:48:11 AM

Best answer selected by purepenny.
Score
a b D Laptop
a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2011 12:21:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!