Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q6600 liquid cooling advice help

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 10, 2008 6:05:51 PM

I got a thermal right ultima 90 and got higher temps with my q6600.(35idle and 47load non overclocked)
i have a B3 but will trade it back to tiger direct(by the way dont buy from them) for a GO. i would like to try liquid cooling and need some advice in parts, i have a 975X chipset if it matters and a budget of around $200 will this be enough to safely overclock it to 4GHz. i dont think ill need gpu liquid cooing as i will keep some airflow in the case. if someone has had good results with a setup i would like to haer about it thanks

More about : q6600 liquid cooling advice

April 10, 2008 8:40:14 PM

So, the only waterblock that you intend on having in your cooling loop is for the CPU right? and you want to try and build that with a budget of no greater than $200?
April 10, 2008 11:37:55 PM

That chipset won't carry you to 4ghz, it's impossible. :non: 
Related resources
April 11, 2008 3:14:35 AM

OK if i cant do it with this mobo im going to trade mine for a e8400 of a e8500. what mobo would be good for this and has raid,pci express possibly sli?
April 11, 2008 5:05:22 AM

If you said SLI, you just limited your choices by a lot...

Instead of looking at dual vidcard solutions, which imo is a waste of money, perhaps you should look into the ASUS P5k-e. It is known to OC to 500MHz fsb (2000MHz effective) and has wide OCing options that makes OCing real easy.
April 11, 2008 6:55:07 AM

ok forget sli is the p5k-e relieble and can it run raid?does it have pci e or 2.0?
April 11, 2008 12:02:53 PM

tetracore44 said:
ok forget sli is the p5k-e relieble and can it run raid?does it have pci e or 2.0?





If that runs on x38/48 chipset, which I believe it does, then yes, yes, and yes (2.0). For 4ghz, your only reliable choice is a x38/48 chipset motherboard, with fsb running at 1600mhz natively, and reliably oc to 2000+mhz.
April 11, 2008 3:18:13 PM

1600FSB can be achieve on P35 chipset not a problem at all!450x8 for the Q6600 im running on.
April 11, 2008 10:57:59 PM



iluvgillgill wrote :

1600FSB can be achieve on P35 chipset not a problem at all!450x8 for the Q6600 im running on.



Check math. :na: 

1600mhz fsb won't get you 4ghz.
April 11, 2008 11:58:17 PM

if FSB450 of the chipset is capable then 450X9 should be ok.but a huge voltage bump maybe needed!
April 12, 2008 12:07:39 AM

iluvgillgill said:
if FSB450 of the chipset is capable then 450X9 should be ok.but a huge voltage bump maybe needed!

450x4 fsb is not a speed to count on for p35 chipset. It's hit and miss, and even if it's hit, you'll have voltage and temperature problems. Practically, x38/48 is the way to go for 1600+mhz fsb.
April 12, 2008 12:10:44 AM

i agree with you dagger.but i just want to point out the chipset is capable of achieving such speed.and since the poster is looking on watercooling.

so a watercooled NB will have no problem of dealing with the heat.but at the end it all depends whats quality on the chipset/motherboard.
April 12, 2008 12:14:05 AM

iluvgillgill said:
i agree with you dagger.but i just want to point out the chipset is capable of achieving such speed.and since the poster is looking on watercooling.

so a watercooled NB will have no problem of dealing with the heat.but at the end it all depends whats quality on the chipset/motherboard.



Heat is only one of the walls to run into for oc. Voltage is another. Having to run it too high can kill the chipset even if it's still ice cold. The p35 chipset can only do so much no matter how hard you push it.
April 12, 2008 12:16:00 AM

well as you know im running on air with 425FSB at the moment.and i will push it to the max see what is achievable.maybe this will give a guidance to the poster.but i guess i will have heat problem as i only got the Zalman 9700 LED to cool the CPU,the CPU cooler will give up before i run into any other problems!hehe
April 12, 2008 12:22:06 AM

iluvgillgill said:
well as you know im running on air with 425FSB at the moment.and i will push it to the max see what is achievable.maybe this will give a guidance to the poster.but i guess i will have heat problem as i only got the Zalman 9700 LED to cool the CPU,the CPU cooler will give up before i run into any other problems!hehe



That's a good way to go. Push it hard when it's still within the rma period is smart. If it fails, it ought to do so without costing you money. :D 

And I use this cooler, which received a big FAIL in tomshardware bench. After reading the bench, brought it anyway. :na: 
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/cpu_cooler_chart...
April 12, 2008 12:30:45 AM

before the TRUE exist this Zalman is the best on the market.as no heatsink got near it.but Zalman has been lazy after such a success.but not so success now aye?!:p 
April 12, 2008 1:11:26 AM

whats the difference between the e8400 and the e8500?

can you recomend good ram for oc whit the p35

you say the 975x is capable of 4ghz but is it stable and is it possible. is it risky?

how much would water cooling cost for oc the chipset and cpu?
April 12, 2008 1:16:12 AM

the only difference in any model in the same range is the multiplier.
April 12, 2008 1:19:23 AM

is it worth it to spend $70 more for the e8500
April 12, 2008 1:30:01 AM

no!as you are intended to overclock.a slowest cpu can overclock beyond the top model in teh family(not always but most time will match it).

so no!
April 12, 2008 1:34:17 AM

tetracore44 said:
whats the difference between the e8400 and the e8500?

can you recomend good ram for oc whit the p35

you say the 975x is capable of 4ghz but is it stable and is it possible. is it risky?

how much would water cooling cost for oc the chipset and cpu?


:non: 
April 12, 2008 2:26:51 AM

How many GB do you need? Generally the Crucial Ballistics are great for OCing.
April 12, 2008 2:58:43 AM

probly 2 gb for now but later i will upgrade to 3.5. if i buy 4 gigs of them will my systom pick up 3.5 i have xp sp2 32bit i think
April 12, 2008 3:45:19 PM

tetracore44 said:
probly 2 gb for now but later i will upgrade to 3.5. if i buy 4 gigs of them will my systom pick up 3.5 i have xp sp2 32bit i think



Yes, that's right, although 4gb is not much of a waste, since ram is dirt cheap those days anyway.
April 12, 2008 7:19:32 PM

if i get an x38 chipset and plan to upgrade my cpu in 2 years the chipset would be outdated and i could get a better deal buying 2 cheeper mobo rather than 1 expensive on that will be outdated.

if i get the p5k e how high can i oc on a lapped ultima 90 with the e8400
April 12, 2008 7:25:56 PM

right now it keeps my q6600 at 33-35c idle and 45-50 load
also how high could i oc on a x38/48 board with the same combo
April 13, 2008 3:39:59 PM

I believe the e8400 runs on 9x multiplier, same as Q6600, so it should do as well as Q6600 fsb wise. Temperature wise, it'll do better. On p35, that would be 1600mhz fsb for reliable oc, which translates to 3.6ghz on 9x multiplier.

On x38/48, fsb would not be the bottleneck, and e8400 should be able to go as far as the chip is capable. It'll likely run into the vcore wall before the heat wall.
April 13, 2008 7:12:10 PM

dagger said:
On x38/48, fsb would not be the bottleneck, and e8400 should be able to go as far as the chip is capable. It'll likely run into the vcore wall before the heat wall.

What are you basing this on? Links!
April 13, 2008 7:19:02 PM

Evilonigiri said:
What are you basing this on? Links!



Too lazy to search links for you. X38/40 run at 1600mhz fsb natively, oc reliably to 2000+mhz. 2000mhz fsb = 4.5ghz on 9x multiplier. So the fsb should not be the bottleneck.
April 13, 2008 7:23:07 PM

dagger said:
Too lazy to search links for you. X38/40 run at 1600mhz fsb natively, oc reliably to 2000+mhz. 2000mhz fsb = 4.5ghz on 9x multiplier. So the fsb should not be the bottleneck.

Alright I know that, but aren't the E8400 capable of 5GHz+?
April 13, 2008 7:32:25 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Alright I know that, but aren't the E8400 capable of 5GHz+?


Not sure, too lazy to look it up. X38/48 should still be good beyond 2000mhz fsb, it's just not guaranteed. In any case, since there isn't a better chipset out there yet, you still don't have a better choice for that kind of overclocking. :p 
April 13, 2008 8:22:20 PM

dagger said:
Not sure, too lazy to look it up. X38/48 should still be good beyond 2000mhz fsb, it's just not guaranteed. In any case, since there isn't a better chipset out there yet, you still don't have a better choice for that kind of overclocking. :p 

Yeah, who's gonna do 5GHz anyways?
April 13, 2008 8:30:06 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Yeah, who's gonna do 5GHz anyways?



Lol, yeah, can it even be done? By normal people, that is, not teh 1337 pplz. :na: 
April 13, 2008 8:33:29 PM

dagger said:
Lol, yeah, can it even be done? By normal people, that is, not teh 1337 pplz. :na: 

Yeah but you need extreme cooling. :bounce: 

The hardcore enthusiasts does it.
April 13, 2008 10:41:55 PM

ok it seems the p5k-e has some problems can you recomed a more relible one that has raid
April 16, 2008 9:54:23 AM

Oh come on, I'm planning 5+GHz for my E4500.

I've done it before (to a P4 3.0) and I WILL do it again.
April 16, 2008 1:28:33 PM

what cooling you plan to put on your e4500?
April 20, 2008 11:15:47 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thats a nice kit. Best you can do with a $200 budget. You can add a NB waterblock into the loop no prob. Doesn't mean you're gonna get a Q6600 to 4 on a 975X board thou. Quads dont overclock as well as Core 2 Duos and 65nm cpus dont overclock as well as 45nm cpus. Sweet spot on a Q6600 is usually 3.6 using 8X450 timings. Does Tiger Direct know they are trading you a G0 for the B3?
April 20, 2008 2:28:19 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Yeah but you need extreme cooling. :bounce: 

The hardcore enthusiasts does it.



Yeah, normal people with deep pockets. It requires hardcore vcore to keep those chips burning. :p 
April 20, 2008 10:16:59 PM

jamstan said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thats a nice kit. Best you can do with a $200 budget. You can add a NB waterblock into the loop no prob. Doesn't mean you're gonna get a Q6600 to 4 on a 975X board thou. Quads dont overclock as well as Core 2 Duos and 65nm cpus dont overclock as well as 45nm cpus. Sweet spot on a Q6600 is usually 3.6 using 8X450 timings. Does Tiger Direct know they are trading you a G0 for the B3?


I'm using the Swiftech H20-220 Compact kit and like the performance so far not too hard to setup, just a lot of patience. Anyways your comment about the sweet spot at 8x450 piqued my interest. ATM im just under 1.4 Volts on my Q6600 B3 with temps around 60C and 360x9=3240Mhz. I haven't toyed around with the multiplier at all however. Do you think I'd get better results bumping it down to 8x and increasing the FSB significantly?
April 20, 2008 11:16:30 PM

lex-luther said:
I'm using the Swiftech H20-220 Compact kit and like the performance so far not too hard to setup, just a lot of patience. Anyways your comment about the sweet spot at 8x450 piqued my interest. ATM im just under 1.4 Volts on my Q6600 B3 with temps around 60C and 360x9=3240Mhz. I haven't toyed around with the multiplier at all however. Do you think I'd get better results bumping it down to 8x and increasing the FSB significantly?



It shouldn't make a difference, and depending on motherboard chipset, you may be running into fsb wall.
April 21, 2008 1:01:13 PM

I would not say only x38/48 are the only way to get a good and stable overclock my p35 is stable at 1780fsb and will go farther soon but i do agree it may be hit and miss on p35s to get as high as an x38/48.
April 21, 2008 1:46:56 PM

hutt said:
I would not say only x38/48 are the only way to get a good and stable overclock my p35 is stable at 1780fsb and will go farther soon but i do agree it may be hit and miss on p35s to get as high as an x38/48.



P35 will never get as high as x38/48. It's just a step below, with 1333mhz fsb at stock, compared to 1600mhz stock for x38/48 boards. X38/48 reliably oc to 2000mhz fsb, p35 reliably oc to 1600mhz. Many people get their p35 board to go stable as far as 1800mhz, but yeah, it's hit or miss.
April 21, 2008 4:37:47 PM

I'm a little confused about why the limits of the P35 vs X38 matter in my case. I was under the impression my chip will never exceed 450FSB x9 (about 4Ghz) so why should I care that the limit is 1333 FSB?
April 21, 2008 6:21:41 PM

lex-luther said:
I'm a little confused about why the limits of the P35 vs X38 matter in my case. I was under the impression my chip will never exceed 450FSB x9 (about 4Ghz) so why should I care that the limit is 1333 FSB?



Your impression is probably made by people boasting about how high their oc is. P35's limit is not 1333mhz fsb, that's just its native fsb, without oc. It should reliably oc to 1600mhz (3.6ghz on 9x multiplier), that means if you do everything right, you're almost guaranteed to hit that mark. On a quality board, you have a reasonable change of going up to 1800mhz. 2000mhz is basically impossible for p35. Also remember that B2 Q6600, unlike G0, will have trouble hitting 4ghz by itself, even if there is no fsb bottleneck.
April 21, 2008 8:45:09 PM

My OC is pretty stable right now with 1.4V at 3.2Ghz. My load temps are approaching 60C even with liquid cooling, I don't think its realistic to push this much more than 3.4-3.6Ghz without significantly diminishing the lifetime of the CPU.
April 21, 2008 9:05:36 PM

FSB 2000mhz and above is possible on the P35.i think Dagger you should rephrase your statement.what the board(or NB) is capable isnt determine by the actual FSB do-able by a CPU.

some CPU are bad yield that doesnt overclock high enough.and thats been proven when reviewer they drop the CPU to 6x multiplier and achieve over 500FSB on the P35.and the CPU will run at a lower speed!(Q6600@3Ghz:333x9 VS 500x6)that shows the capability of the board!

and really the main "DIFFERENCE" between the P35 and X38 is that the X38 feature 2 new function on the NB is the presence of the XMP and DDR3-1333.but the actual NB i believe its the same build but maybe differ in quality of the chip.so Intel can "Guarantee" the X38 chipset can "Natively" run 1600FSB.

and features are disabled in the CPU/chipset/GPU to make them "different" to sell it to different market.But when you look at the physical thing it might be the same thing.as this is proven by Core 2 processor with certain amount of L2 cache disabled to sell it the a lower class market.and so the the 8800GT and 8800GTS(G92) with 112 vs 128 shaders.

so Intel can sell the better yield P35 chipset in a form called X38 with a jacked up price tag!
!