Sign in with
Your question

I think I fried my vid card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2007 10:50:48 PM

I posted a similar thread on the mobo forum because I cant tell which part of my cpu got hurt. Long story short, Im at a hotel brought my desktop because i will be here a long enough time, nothing to do. So I plug my baby into the wall, move the case 1 inch all of a sudden these big sparks jump out of the psu socket. Kills the power in 2 hotel rooms :pt1cable:  In my new room I go and start her up carefully, let it sit a while before plugging all the other stuff in, turn off, plug monitor in, now I get it going, post screen, I can only see very faintly like the words, windows boots up very dark screen mostly black, the highlights of the icons on main screen are visible including the win logo, and the mouse cursor, but VERY dark, i login and still can see highlights but nothing else. So Im confused uf i get in windows fine no errors is the mobo fine? then wouldnt it be the vid card? but why do i see some stuff?

Anyway Im pissed so I need help!

More about : fried vid card

December 3, 2007 1:00:19 AM

Sounds like you just fried the backlight on the monitor.

the monitor prefs interface is hardwired into the monitor and should come up in full color/contrast if you check those settings. That will tell you quickly if it the monitor or computer.

Failing that, I would say it is your vid card, maybe, but my money is on monitor backlight.
December 3, 2007 1:07:11 AM

ganpachi said:
Sounds like you just fried the backlight on the monitor.

the monitor prefs interface is hardwired into the monitor and should come up in full color/contrast if you check those settings. That will tell you quickly if it the monitor or computer.

Failing that, I would say it is your vid card, maybe, but my money is on monitor backlight.

Ok the monitor menu are all full brightness as they have always been. I brightened the brightness and contrast all the way up and it did little, in the nvidia control panel i raised those brightness/contrast and that helped a tad, but for the most part its very dark.

If I go to a dollar store and by an composite cable (Yellow, white, red)
I can plug into hotel tv if this looks ok on tv does that rule out vid card trouble?
!