Question About Overclocked Graphics Cards

big_cheese

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hi,

I want to get EVGA 8800GT, but I want to decide which one: the overclocked ones (KO/SSC) or the regular non-overclocked one. Do the overclocked cards have higher process corner? What makes them more expensive? I'm asking because people can buy the cheaper non-overclocked versions and use a software to overclock them, this looks like a better way to overclock for me, only when needed.
So to summaraize, do the factory overclocked cards have higher process corner? If no, then why are they more expensive?
PS: I asked this question twice at the EVGA forum and got no answer.

Thanks for your help.

frednitney

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I'm asking because people can buy the cheaper non-overclocked versions and use a software to overclock them, this looks like a better way to overclock for me, only when needed.

Yes and Yes :ange:

You are paying for the OC ...

That you can do yourself :sol:

glhf

frednitney

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
yup. Rivatuner will OC a card without having to mess with the bios or anything. You just start it up. pick the setting s you want and then save them to apply at startup. Easy cake.

Unless you can get one for a tiny bit more, I would say go stock.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Like the previous poster said, you can pretty easily overclock a video card yourself so it isn't worth it to pay a significant amount more for a factory overclocked card. All versions of the same card are identical except for the speed setting in the card's bios. That being said, I'm usually willing to pay a small premium for an overclocked card simply because then it's been tested for the extra clock speed and guaranteed to run at the higher speed. With a card sold at stock there are no guarantees the card can be overclocked.

big_cheese

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Thank you guys, that was very helpful. I too am willing to pay a little bit more (~$15) for an overclocked one. I'll probably wait until mid December hopefully the 8800gt cards will get cheaper when g92 8800gts is out by then.