C:\windows\system32\config\system

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Well, this would be a very old question. But I've been searching the solution to this problem for a while now. I got this computer, Dell Precision T5500, with Windows Xp Sp3. I went up at the MS site, and did the whole process of recovery. After that, the option of going to safe mode or or return to last known good configuration or normal started to appear. But everytime I chose sometime, the message of C:\windows\system32\config\system keep appearing. So, I am not sure what to do anymore. I was thinking of copying that file from another computer and pass it thru a pendrive with the DOS system. But I am not sure how. Any help would be great.
THANK YOU ^_^. :D

The fle on the end of that path holds a significant and unique chunk of the system registry - that's the big filing cabinet in which Microsoft stores all the main parts of Windows. Being unique, if you import another one, it will mess things up completely.

Use your XP CD to go as far as the first R for Repair option. In what you call DOS, at the Command Prompt use the chdir command to get to that folder so the command is chdir c:\windows\system32\config then hit Enter. In that folder, type
del software and hit Enter again. Then type copy software.sav and when prompted to chang ethe name type software.

Do the same for the files named SYSTEM and SAM then finally ype exit to leave the console and restart the computer. Please post back whether that worked or not.[/#000ff]

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The other computer I was going to try to take the copy of the file was from a same type of computer that its located in the same computer room. Since they are the same computer and they are in they are connected to the same server, would it be safe to copy the same file from the other computer to the one that is damge?
So the lines for the command would be:
chdir c:\windows\system32\config
del software
copy software.sav
\*type software*\

then again I do the same
del system
copy system.sav
\*type system*\

the same thing with the SAM.

Am I missing something? Any mistake on it?

Can't do much for the moment, thou. Clean up crew came and damage the DVI converter, by pushing the desk of the computer against the wall till it bend the converter and a piece of it got stuck to the video card.. Got to wait till Monday, so I can change the converter and possibly the video card.

Thank you for any help ^_^:D

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

So I am going to work with this computer this week, hopefully. I was wondering if what I typed recently was the right way or are there any mistakes?
Thank you for the help:)

As your entire Config folder seems to have fallen over, you'll need to System aa well and Sam - everything in the Config folder in the machine that does work. Your syntax should work. It would be far easier were you to use a Linux LiveCD instead o fiddling around in DOS. That would allow you to work in a GUI environment and to have a flash drive connected form which you could simply copy and paste the whole folder into the dud or alternatively, maybe I'm just getting lazy. A download of PCLinuxOS from the dotcom site of the same name would do it for you, as would Minime, Puppy or Ubuntu.[/#000ff]

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The odd thing that I found is that I can't do windows repair, not the one with commands. I can't use the windows repair, which kinda do a "roll back". It didn't gave me access to it. Is it possible that the HDD is dmg or windows is beyond help and need to do fresh clean install?
I would love to do the linux. But I never use linux. Been wanting to do use linux for a while. and the computer is from a engineering lab from a university I study in.

You should speak with someone from the Uni which owns the machine before reinstalling, I would think. Using a Linux Live CD would give you a feel for whether or not you'll like working in it and give you the chance to rescue your files before reinstalling Windows. As I said earlier, it will also let you float files into the system in a fairly familiar GUI.

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Well, the lab is quite independent from the actual from the guys that control the rest of the computers in the university. The boss is in the lab is always open to new suggestions. So I guess it wouldn't be a problem
But fixing how can a linux cd restore a file of windows?

It doesn't restore it - it just make it easier to put a fresh set of files copied from a working installation of the Windows OS.[/#000ff]

strategos

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Finally the cable has arrive. I started to work with the computer.
When the windows start up, the options of safe mode, last known good configuration, and windows normal, appear. when I select either of them, the same message appears.
c:\windows\system32\config
I

I may have missed the point but I don't think this tells us anything we didn't already know. The entire folder which holds the Registry is missing or has been corrupted and needs to be replaced by another one.[/#000ff]