Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Display problem. Works in XP and not Vista

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2007 4:32:07 AM

Hi,

I mihgt be posting in the wrong thread so I'm sorry. This is the first time I'm posting here since I often manage to fix stuff on my own. I'm getting a weird problem with my monitor resolution while running Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer specs are listed below.

Problem: I have an Acer 22" LCD monitor. After installing Vista I went through all the updates. After restarting several times I finally updated my Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website. Everything works fine for a couple of days until one day while doing just a regular restart, my monitor will display a resolution lower than 1680x1050 (don't remember the exact resolution).

This first happened a couple of months ago and I've gone through a couple of drivers from Nvidia but none work. Acer support tells me there is nothing wrong with the monitor and Nvidia hasn't replied to the email I sent them a month ago. A friend of mine said that it has something to do with Vista autmatically choosing the best diaplay settings for Aero and that I should try to turn that off (i don't know how). I found a couple of links with the similar problem online but the steps one guy had to fix the prolem were not that good and I was lost.

I don't have this problem in XP(thats what I am using right now for two weeks). Plus my system specs are good enough.

Anyone has any ideas? let me know if you need more info.

System Specs:
74gb Raptor (Primary)
750Gb sata Seagate
1 PNY 8600gts 256MB
Asus P5N-E SLI (Nvidia 650i SLI chipset)
Intel Pentium D805
700w Thermaltake Toughpower psu
2gb Corsair XMS 2 DDR800
2 dvd writers
Coolermaster Stacker 830
December 3, 2007 4:42:19 AM

Another thing I forgot to mention is that once I start having the resolution problem, everytime I restart, I don't get any display and I have to unplugg and plug the monitor's dvi cable to get any display.
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 4:56:06 AM

To adjust visual performance in Vista:

Right click on my computer
click on properties
click on advanced system settings
click on advanced tab under performance click on settings

You can choose a custom setting and uncheck any of the options you don't want to use. If you think something in this feature is causing your problem, uncheck all the boxes and try the system that way.
Related resources
December 3, 2007 5:03:41 AM

I remember setting that to the 'Best' option. Is there anything else that you can think of that might be causing this problem?
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 5:21:36 AM

If your monitor has a VGA plug in, try using it with an adapter instead of the DVI connection.
!