what is SharedDLLs for

and do the values in reg_sz in there mean?

I should have mentioned the registry full key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
What does XP do with them?
4 answers Last reply
More about what shareddlls

    gs wrote:
    > and do the values in reg_sz in there mean?
    >

    > I should have mentioned the registry full key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    > What does XP do with them?

    Let's say I write a program that uses MFC. The MFC libraries are
    contained in mfc71.dll. As I don't know if the target workstation will
    have that dll, I include mfc71.dll in my program's installation package,
    marking it as a shared dll.

    When my application gets installed on a Windows workstation, since I
    have marked the mfc71.dll file as shared, the fact that it has been
    installed gets recorded to the SharedDLLs registry key. This allows
    Windows to keep track of how many times that dll has been installed.
    You'll notice the Data for each one of the entries is a number. This
    represents the number of times a setup package has installed that dll.

    If some other app has also installed mfc71.dll and you then decide to
    uninstall my application, the information is now recorded that I am not
    the only application on the machine using that shared dll, and so my
    uninstall should not remove the file. If my uninstall did remove the
    file, then the other application(s) that had also needed the file would
    stop functioning properly.

    Granted that for this to work correctly requires some participation on
    the part of application install package developers, and it isn't
    completely full-proof.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Hi

    That entry in the Registry pertains to any .DLL files that are/can be used
    by more than one program. Please don't alter anything there!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "gs" <gs@nomail.nil> wrote in message
    > and do the values in reg_sz in there mean?
    >

    > I should have mentioned the registry full key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    > What does XP do with them?

    Hi Tom

    Yup, that's what I said in one line!!

    --

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:00:02 +0100, Will Denny wrote:

    > Yup, that's what I said in one line!!

    The reader's digest version?
    --
    Tom Porterfield