Cannot start windows xp at all

G

Hello,
cannot start windows xp at all at the end displays a cursor at the left side of the screen

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi,

Try these steps to see if you can startup in basic troubleshooting mode (and the check for malware infections. If you can't get in this way either, then we can try some more steps.

Restart your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking Support'.
(To do this: Power on your computer and start tapping the F8 key at the top of your keyboard rapidly until the Windows Start Menu appears. Then select the Safe Mode with Networking Support menu option and press the Enter key)

Open your web browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org

Download their free malwarebytes program from their main page

Install the program on your computer and run it.

Update the Malwarebytes program and do a full scan.
(You may be asked to restart. Do so, but use F8 key to return to Safe Mode)

Let us know the results of the scan and whether or not any symptoms persist and we will troubleshoot deeper.

Cheers!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I am assuming here that the blank screen with the flashing cursor is directly after the Windows Splash Screen. If it is before, then I would suspect the MBR as well. More information would indeed help.

Cheers!

G

I have tryed this option on my laptop to no avail. This laptop is telling me the NTLDR is missing with n spare cd-rom that i cannot boot up from & no backup copy of win xp pro i am at a loss as to how to restore this laptop to its full glory.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks Christine ccchessuersc98