DavyR

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Ok so I want to upgrade my moms pc with a Dual Core CPU Socket AM2, Its one of those HP Slimlines s7600n pc's.
Has Socket AM2 support and supports AMD 64 X2 CPU's up to 4200, only thing is, its up to 4200 35W of TDP. So im like, w-t-f mate? Will a AM2 AMD 64 X2 4200 65W chip work or 85W I think the other one even work???? I dunno man but Ive come here today to ask the good ole folks at Tom's Hardware for aid.

Motherboard is a Asus A8N-BR Pyrite-GL8E. Says it supports DC socket AM2 cpu's but i cant find a 35w one and want to know what will happen if I put in a higher wattage?

As long as the mobo will support it and the PSU is high enough you should be gravy.

I tried looking into CPU support at asus website but problem is yours is not listed so thats a no go and doesn't help much.

As for the X2 4200+ 35w version can't find it anywhere so almost looks like your luck is out.

The chipset is a GeForce 6150 LE or at least HP states that but thats wrong as that is the GPU.

The best CPU you can put in there is this: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ (2.0GHz / 2000MT/s) AM2 (35W); 1 MB L2 cache. here is the site link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01047374&lc=en&cc=pr&dlc=es&product=3369444 .

Sorry but it looks like you wont be able to upgrade to a much better CPU.

DavyR

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
My friend tells me this 4200 35 W thing is based on power alone and isnt a motherboard issue and says it will work as long as you have enough power from ur psu, is this true?

your hp probably has an aftermarket heatsink that is designed for 35w tdp processors. putting a higher tdp processor in is unadvisable, unless you have seen your heatsink and you really think its good enough to take the heat.

yes, psu is also an issue, but not by much. it should handle the extra wattage.

mind you, i'm no looking at any spec sheets for that processor or motherboard at the moment.

the geforce 6150LE is a graphics chipset, and NOT a gpu. your cpu does the graphics processing on your pc.

i'll look around and see if i can get specs on that motherboard..

DavyR

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Ya ive seen the heatsink, cant I just have a stock heatsink that comes with whatever cpu I buy?
this psu is like 100 watts and no I cant upgrade it cause its a slimline pc

Just wanted to let you know that the chipset is actually going to be a nForce 4xx series with a GeForce 6150 LE GPU on board. Its basically like what a laptop has with a integrated GPU not a chipset that runs off the CPU.

As for you just look around for any AMD CPU with the 35w TDP but other than loading a new mobo with it you are stuck with what you can find.

blah, sorry, you're right.

i have to stop saying things without looking them up.
and i need a new computer.
lol