Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

*NEW* 8800GTS (G92) on Pre-order! for $470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 3, 2007 5:52:49 AM

Today I got bored and wanted to see if I could find any site featuring the price of the new 8800GTS (G92) for pre-order. This is the only on I found: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=...

I believe "Future Shop" is Canadian. I might be wrong.....either way its $470 Canadian dollars....WAY OVER PRICED! Anyways, if anyone finds any other sites featuring the price for these cards - post away. I'm trying to decide whether to step-up...ideally I want it to cost $299 (less than $50 for eVGA 8800GT). But I think the gouging will price it to about $350 or more...which isn't worth it in my opinion.

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB PCI-Express Video Card

Releases 12 Dec/07. Featuring 128 stream processors, each individually clocked at a blazing fast 1.625GHz, and an impressive 512MB frame buffer with 256-bit interface, the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB graphics card delivers top-of-the-line performance that enthusiasts have been demanding. More Info
WebID: 10097440
Mfr. Part Number: BFGR88512GTSEC
API Support DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0
Card Type 3D VGA
Clock Speed of Video Memory RAMDAC Dual 400MHz
DVD Acceleration No
Fill Rate 41.6 Billion Per Second
Included In Box See The Features Section
Included Software Driver CD
Interface PCI Express 2.0
Maximum 2D Resolution (At 32-Bit Colour) 2048 x 1536
Maximum 3D Resolution (At 32-Bit Colour) 2048 x 1536
Number of Polygons Per Second Not Applicable
Operating System Compatibility Windows XP/Vista
Processor Type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Remote Control No
S-Video Output Yes
System Requirements See The Features Section
TV Out Yes
TV Tuner (Yes/No) No
Video Compression No
Video Memory 512MB GDDR3
Warranty Limited Lifetime

More Information

Ultra-realistic smoke, rain, explosions, lighting, terrain deformation and motion blur enable jealousy-inducing, lightning-fast game play in the hottest games. With full support for PCI Express 2.0 and featuring second generation NVIDIA PureVideo HD engine, the SLI - Ready BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS graphics card has the feature set to match the amazing performance.

FEATURES:

* Full Microsoft DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0 and PCI Express 2.0 support
* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OC
* Bus Type: PCI Express
* Memory: 512MB GDDR3
* Core Clock: 650MHz
* Shader Clock: 1625MHz
* Memory Data Rate: 1940MHz
* Memory Bandwidth: 62.1GB/sec
* Shader Model: 4.0
* API Support: Microsoft DirectX 10 and lower, OpenGL 2.0 and lower for Microsoft Windows
* Connectors: Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out
* RAMDACs: Dual 400MHz
* Included In Box: Quick Install Guide, DVI to VGA Adapter, 6-Pin PCIe Power Adapter, HDTV Dongle, Driver CD
* System Requirements: Windows XP/Vista, 1GB RAM, CD/DVD-ROM, 35MB HDD, 400W PCI Express Compliant System Power Supply, PCI Express Compliant Motherboard
December 3, 2007 5:57:00 AM

For $470 it should come with a bottle of Napoleon Cognac and an Asian hooker.
December 3, 2007 5:57:59 AM

jjblanche said:
For $470 it should come with a bottle of Napoleon Cognac and an Asian hooker.


lol.

/agreed
Related resources
December 3, 2007 6:33:10 AM

jjblanche said:
For $470 it should come with a bottle of Napoleon Cognac and an Asian hooker.



For $470, I should get a BJ everytime I sit down in front of the computer. It should also get me a beer if I need one!! :lol: 
December 3, 2007 6:40:39 AM

Chill. Futureshop always overcharges for Gfx cards. It's owned by best buy is essentially the same store except Futureshop reps get commission so you get service. Take a look at what they charge for other gfx cards and you'll see my point. Anyways, it'll be way cheaper at other stores like www.memoryexpress.com who is like a canadian newegg.
December 3, 2007 6:54:16 AM

how good is the new 8800gts over the 8800gt??
December 3, 2007 7:00:25 AM

sunny27 said:
how good is the new 8800gts over the 8800gt??



not much at all...not worth more than $35 over 8800GT...and maybe $50 if you include the dual slot cooling. Bottomline, I personally wouldn't pay more than $299 for the new 8800gts
December 3, 2007 5:08:08 PM

Eric...that avatar is creepy and disturbing.
December 3, 2007 5:12:05 PM

qmalik...the GTS offers improvement over the 8800GT, but most importantly...it has a dual slot cooler!!! The 8800GT should NEVER have come with a single slot cooler. In fact, I know a number of people that were getting artifacts after a half hour of normal gaming. It is necessary to bump up the fan speed manually to 60-90% to get it to run cool, which will dramatically shorten its life.

In short, not only does the GTS offer added performance, but the dual slot cooler is what should have been on the GT in the first place. It's worth it.
December 3, 2007 5:15:41 PM

jjblanche said:
qmalik...the GTS offers improvement over the 8800GT, but most importantly...it has a dual slot cooler!!! The 8800GT should NEVER have come with a single slot cooler. In fact, I know a number of people that were getting artifacts after a half hour of normal gaming. It is necessary to bump up the fan speed manually to 60-90% to get it to run cool, which will dramatically shorten its life.

In short, not only does the GTS offer added performance, but the dual slot cooler is what should have been on the GT in the first place. It's worth it.


the 8800gts its worth $299...nothing more...if you bump up your fan speeds on 8800gt you are totally fine..i am getting 47C idle and 57C load on stock fan with 60% fan speed...and no it is not going to kill my card...and even if it did - which it wont, i am sure it will last till i get my next card (3 years). the new 8800gts only offers on average about 5% more FPS than 8800GT but will end up costing $100 more...not worth it...you could just get a 8800GT, buy a heatsink, and oc pass the new 8800gts....that would still be cheaper.

5% more FPS is not worth $100...even with dual slot solution. Just look at all the "Average" FPS of these games....nothing significant between the 2 cards...especially once you pass 75+ FPS...faster than most refresh rates on monitors...

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/7

FYI: 8800GTS runs only 4.4C cooler than stock 8800GT...according to tweaktown. Nothing impressive or drasically mind changing.
December 3, 2007 5:49:54 PM

If step-up price is that much, I'm pretty much screwed. I hope it's more between 300-350$. I wouldn't mind paying $50 plus shipping for the extra performance over the 320mb GTS.
December 3, 2007 5:52:21 PM

San Pedro said:
If step-up price is that much, I'm pretty much screwed. I hope it's more between 300-350$. I wouldn't mind paying $50 plus shipping for the extra performance over the 320mb GTS.


if the 8800gts is >= $50 more compared to 8800GT, i will step-up...but a cent more...forget it.
December 3, 2007 6:03:41 PM

Well couldn't you do this (this is what I plan to do), Buy the 8800GTS G92 for however the price is and then in febraury when the new 9800GTX comes out just step up (if you purchased eVGA that is), and you are that much more closer to the 9800GTX. I think of it as a down payment of sorts. Maybe I am just crazy but in my head this seems that it would work.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 6:04:10 PM


Dont forget we are not seeing the real price of the card yet eric54 says the shop is dear anyway also the other factor is that we are close to christmas so the price will be artificially high any way.
Mactronix
December 3, 2007 6:11:26 PM

I wonder if Nvidia plans to increase the default fan speed on the 8800gt with the next driver. I leave mine set at 50% and I have never seen temps go over 75C. It isn't noticeably loud either, but that's probably because my ear piercing northbridge fan is drowning it out.
December 3, 2007 6:21:00 PM

$450 doesn't seem so bad when you consider it should best the $600+ 8800 Ultra... :D 
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 6:29:03 PM


tvh
I dont know but i would check that its the differance between purchase price and the price of the new card and they are not pulling a fast one like currant retail value vs retail price of new card. Not saying that is how it works but i would just check if it was me.you can never be too carefull . :) 
I have to agree with qmalik there is no justification for that kind of price for the card it would actually be cheaper to make wouldnt it as they dont have to cut the pipes down from 128 both cards are a die shrink so less actual silicone.
The only saver i can see is that i doubt very much that even if the card Tweaktown tested was legit then the drivers were probably not the correct ones anyway but thats just my opinion obviously so it could be that there is a lot more performance in it, i sure hope so from my view point bassed on the GT if when some official benchies come out the GTS dosent smoke the GTX then the card is a failure.
Mactronix
December 3, 2007 6:35:05 PM

This price is in no way an accurate depiction of what the GTS will actually cost, period.

As for increasing the fan speed...that, in and of itself, won't directly harm the card, but it will shorten the life of the fan...that's what I was getting at. For the amount of money we're paying for these cards, I'd rather have one that works properly right out the door. I don't want to risk voiding my warranty/step-up by tweaking the settings (yes, this will void your warranty).

As another poster said, I look at the GTS as a down-payment on a better card.
December 3, 2007 6:51:55 PM

The sad thing is when the card is released and 3 days later the price-gouging starts this is the price we should expect to see...
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 6:52:05 PM

jjblanche said:
This price is in no way an accurate depiction of what the GTS will actually cost, period.

As for increasing the fan speed...that, in and of itself, won't directly harm the card, but it will shorten the life of the fan...that's what I was getting at. For the amount of money we're paying for these cards, I'd rather have one that works properly right out the door. I don't want to risk voiding my warranty/step-up by tweaking the settings (yes, this will void your warranty).

As another poster said, I look at the GTS as a down-payment on a better card.


Totally agree with it all except the warranty bit assuming we are talking EVGA of course as you mention stepping up as long as there is no damage to the PCB your fine.
Mactronix :) 
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 7:02:26 PM

I found it on the Web site of a local shop in Ottawa: http://www.compunation.com/index.php

$ 555.56 :ouch: 
BFGE88512GTSE
BFG TECH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS OC 512MB PCI EXPRESS 2.0 GRAPHICS CARD

This is scary, because this particular shop tends to have the best prices at video cards in my area. I even used that site to get a price match last summer on my BFG 8800 GTX.

They also have the 8800 GT for $293.60:
BFGE88512GTOCE
BFG TECH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI EXPRESS 2.0 GRAPHICS CARD
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 7:07:40 PM

qmalik said:
Today I got bored and wanted to see if I could find any site featuring the price of the new 8800GTS (G92) for pre-order. This is the only on I found: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=...

I believe "Future Shop" is Canadian. I might be wrong.....either way its $470 Canadian dollars....WAY OVER PRICED!



:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Yeah, if the URL ends in .ca and it sells in Canadian dollars, then it's Canadian. :D  I see they took it out, your link now says there's no such product in the database. Maybe they'll add it back later at $800.
December 3, 2007 8:01:01 PM

mactronix said:
Dont forget we are not seeing the real price of the card yet eric54 says the shop is dear anyway also the other factor is that we are close to christmas so the price will be artificially high any way.
Mactronix


at least we know the release date though.... 12 days left to step up!
December 3, 2007 8:13:57 PM

Lol, yeah that is a sucker's price for sure.

The G92 GTS will perform approximately 16% better than the GT. It will still NOT allow playable framerates with everything cranked to the max in Crysis so why bother?
December 3, 2007 8:32:06 PM

mitchellvii said:
Lol, yeah that is a sucker's price for sure.

The G92 GTS will perform approximately 16% better than the GT. It will still NOT allow playable framerates with everything cranked to the max in Crysis so why bother?


"Why bother" is fine if you have already have an 8800/2900+ series card, but anything below that and this is an excellent upgrade (if priced right). Crysis isn't the end of the world and I'm sure most people base their upgrading decisions on more than one game.
December 3, 2007 9:21:28 PM

aevm said:
I found it on the Web site of a local shop in Ottawa: http://www.compunation.com/index.php

$ 555.56 :ouch: 
BFGE88512GTSE
BFG TECH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS OC 512MB PCI EXPRESS 2.0 GRAPHICS CARD

This is scary, because this particular shop tends to have the best prices at video cards in my area. I even used that site to get a price match last summer on my BFG 8800 GTX.

They also have the 8800 GT for $293.60:
BFGE88512GTOCE
BFG TECH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI EXPRESS 2.0 GRAPHICS CARD

Good find, but I don't think anyone will rush to buy a 8800GTS 512mb at that price.
December 3, 2007 9:25:58 PM

People must remember that American products are marked up heavily when sold abroad, especially in Europe, but also in Canada. If you don't live in the states, $500 US dollars might be a reasonable price to pay for a g92 GTS. Here, though, there is no way the GTS is going to go for more than $400. If it does, I'll eat my own feces and wash it down with a cup of goat urine.
December 3, 2007 9:53:29 PM

jjblanche said:
People must remember that American products are marked up heavily when sold abroad, especially in Europe, but also in Canada. If you don't live in the states, $500 US dollars might be a reasonable price to pay for a g92 GTS. Here, though, there is no way the GTS is going to go for more than $400. If it does, I'll eat my own feces and wash it down with a cup of goat urine.


Can I hold you to that? If this card is going to be the fastest on the market (which it looks like it is), you can bet your ass that it's going to be price-gouged like no tomorrow.
December 3, 2007 10:31:38 PM

Yes, you can hold me to that. It will not retail for more than $400.
December 3, 2007 11:37:44 PM

I think I can alay some of your fears (and JJBlanche's health), as I spotted this card a couple of days ago at an Australian store for $345 AUD ($1AUD = approx 0.88USD). Check out the price list here: www.msy.com.au tho it isn't in stock yet. I think this store can be relied upon as an accurate measure of prices in Australia, as they are usually the cheapest in the country, and they don't engage in any price gouging. I think this sort of Australian price indicates a US cost of under $300 (esp as this is a brick and mortar store), unless of course we get a GT-like situation and shops overcharge.
December 3, 2007 11:43:28 PM

On another note, judging by the TweakTown review, the card has an old fashioned looking green PCB, which I really don't like the look of. Now, they're obviously not going to change it to red, but perhaps another colour, such as black would look nicer, especially with the cooler. Just my 2 cents. (Maybe it could be a consumer choice, after all, we get to choose the colour of our cars...).
December 4, 2007 1:10:19 AM

Quote:
:bounce:  :bounce:  :whistle:  :whistle:  I'll have bottle of Tequila and a Latin hooker with nice dark brown skin with black hair. :bounce:  :bounce:  :whistle:  :whistle:  I'll be in Heaven.


I'll take the Cognac over the Tequila any day, but that Latin hooker sure sounds mighty nice. On second thought, Tequila body shots are fantastic.

...I need to get off these forums and get laid. :pt1cable: 
December 4, 2007 1:21:34 AM

jjblanche said:
Yes, you can hold me to that. It will not retail for more than $400.




You have no logic....the 8800GT can be found for $250 easy. If the 8800GTS is 5% faster...you really want to pay $150 more!?!? the 8800GTS is horrible at that price...$299...is acceptable - nothing more.

No one knows how much its really going to cost - either way, my guess is that it will not be worth it...there simple is not enough performance increase to justify the price of $350+, let alone $400! Hell, you could almost get 8800GTx2 in SLI with that...Dell was selling them for $210 each....
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 4, 2007 1:35:30 AM

128 stream processors instead of 112 means 14% more speed. Let's say 14% higher price for that. Dual-slot cooler without heating/noise issues - I'd pay $50 more for that. If the 8800GT is reasonably priced at $250, then the new GTS is worth 250*1.14+50 = $335.
December 4, 2007 2:55:34 AM

Flawless logic, aevm. qmalik, not so much. Like I said, I see it as more of a downpayment on a better card (step up). A hundred or so dollars one way or the other is really not a big deal to me when I'm building up a $3000 system.
December 7, 2007 4:06:02 PM

Stop whinning!!!!

In EU - Denmark: We pay +800$ for a friking 8800GTX
We pay +450$ for a **** 8800GT
We pay +1000$ for a 8800Ultra

So I dont wanna hear anymore about its overpriced in US
December 7, 2007 4:11:31 PM

I think the new GTS is good for those of us that bought an older model GTS and are still within our "step up" window. :D  I believe I will be taking advantage of this opportunity. (Even if I have to use my old 7900GS for a little while :'(  )
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 7, 2007 4:23:46 PM

kondichael said:
Stop whinning!!!!

In EU - Denmark: We pay +800$ for a friking 8800GTX
We pay +450$ for a **** 8800GT
We pay +1000$ for a 8800Ultra

So I dont wanna hear anymore about its overpriced in US


:ouch:  :ouch:  And I hear your income tax rates are also much higher than in the US. Man, I feel your pain.

But, if we stop whining, the companies will think it's OK to raise prices even more. You'd pay 900$ for the 8800GTX.

Fix your avatar image, will ya? It looks like an unfinished HTML tag.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 7, 2007 4:23:54 PM

To kondichael
You do realise they are just saying its overpriced compared price/performance compared to the GT.

Mactronix
December 7, 2007 4:24:51 PM

All American products, especially electronics, are grossly overpriced in the EU.
December 7, 2007 4:32:42 PM

Quote:
And I hear your income tax rates are also much higher than in the US. Man, I feel your pain.


Yea I pay 43% in taxes ><
December 7, 2007 6:50:38 PM

rgeist554 said:
I think the new GTS is good for those of us that bought an older model GTS and are still within our "step up" window. :D  I believe I will be taking advantage of this opportunity. (Even if I have to use my old 7900GS for a little while :'(  )


You'll have to be a little careful using the Step-Up, because it only works if the new card is atleast the price of the old card. The new GTS might cost less than your old GTS, and price-gouging will not work in your favor because Step-Up is for MSRP prices.
December 7, 2007 8:02:39 PM

SEALBoy said:
You'll have to be a little careful using the Step-Up, because it only works if the new card is atleast the price of the old card. The new GTS might cost less than your old GTS, and price-gouging will not work in your favor because Step-Up is for MSRP prices.

This is incorrect. I stepped up from a $280 320MB 8800GTS to a $270 512MB 8800GT. All I had to pay was shipping, which was $15.
December 7, 2007 8:11:22 PM

I think he means it doesn't work in the sense that you didn't get refunded the $10.
December 8, 2007 6:43:03 PM

cleeve said:
$450 doesn't seem so bad when you consider it should best the $600+ 8800 Ultra... :D 


Problem is it doesn't beat the ultra.
December 8, 2007 6:44:27 PM

I just bought a 8800GT Superclocked now so I could step up when the new G96 series are released in February.
December 8, 2007 6:49:23 PM

Pollux said:
Problem is it doesn't beat the ultra.


It should rival the Ultra, especially with factory-overclocked editions of the card.
December 9, 2007 3:23:12 AM

SEALBoy said:
It should rival the Ultra, especially with factory-overclocked editions of the card.


I'm sure you have seen this since it's over 10 days old but:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/18

Yes, it's just 1 test
Yes, it's too early to tell
Yes, It's still a good price for that performace
Yes, it SEEMS to do well against the GTX
Yes, maybe future drivers will increase performance

But Nvidia wouldn't release an Ultra killer with a G92

Best bet I'd say is wait for G96 to get a nice card that will beat the 8800Ultra for a 8800GTS G92 price
December 9, 2007 9:40:45 AM

You made thaqt up, what G96? Its not real, you invented it, Ive never heard of it.


They are making a dual G92 card GX2 style so that will be ok.


Nothing will beat out an ultra for the G92 8800GTS price, the dualy would probably vost a little less then double an 8800GT.
December 10, 2007 12:33:44 AM

Yea, and you probably would say Nvidia wouldn't release a card that could compete with the GTX for half the price 2 months ago..
!