Windows 7 vs Vipre firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

catboat1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I have a question and was hoping someone could help me out. I have Windows 7- 64 bit Profess. version. I have been using the Windows firewall. But I also have Vipre Internet Security 2013 which also has it's own firewall which I have not been using. Does anyone know anything on which is the better choice. I have not had any problems with Windows firewall, but am I using the best one? I would really like to know what anyone thinks.

Thanks don

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Windows firewall is a very basic firewall as it only blocks incoming connections by default, while you have to enable the outgoing protection, and even then, you have to manually set all the rules, which means you have to know the IP addresses and ports of any program that accesses the internet. 3rd-party firewalls, such as Vipre, block both incoming and outgoing connections and allow you much easier control over the firewall rules as they use Pop-ups and built-in databases to make sure that you don't accidentally deny a legitimate program access to the internet. Overall, you're better off running the Vipre firewall.

catboat1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

Ok that's sounds good. It does seem like the Vipre does so much more. I will give it a try and see how it goes. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again for your input. don

Status
Not open for further replies.