Dimming of LCDs??

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I was reading through some New Egg reviews, and one of the posts described LCD "dimming." He purchased a monitor, then six months later purchased another one of the same make/model. He said that the new one was notably brighter, and that the older one suffered from a "common" LCD affliction: dimming over time. He estimated that within two years the LCD in question would need to be replaced.

I've never heard of this before, and having used many LCDs myself, this sounds like hogwash. It makes me wonder if the brightness settings were just different on his two respective monitors.

So, has anyone heard of LCDs dimming/degrading over time??

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
It happens, just like anything technology related thing that we use. It gets old, used, wears out, and probably some time later dies.

Though it could be also that the newly bought screen is a better make or a different grade.

Though two years is a bit too quick for a good quality LCD, I've had mine for more than 3 years and it still works. I simply don't compare it with my other screen, as that one's what it is, old.