Changing boot drive from F: to C:

aquatica

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I have an Polywell that's about 5 years old and that came with 2 IDE hard drives, a slave and a master. I recently replaced the master drive with a SeaGate PATA master hard drive. After reinstalling Windows XP, the new master was assigned to be the F: drive, while the old slave was reassigned to be the C. I removed the IDE slave and reinstalled Windows with the PATA master as the only hard drive, but it was still assigned to be the F: drive. When I go into My Computer, my two CD-ROMs are D and E. What happened to C? Is there any way I can reassign my new master to be the C drive? I tried the registry route and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

venkat karthik

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
this may help you
right click my computer and click manage
in computer management(local) go to Disk Management(local)
you may change the drive letters and paths by right clicking the partition bars and then click (change drive letters and paths)

i give no guarantee for this (try at your own risk)

aquatica

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I guess I thought that I needed a C drive for my programs to run. If I don't need a C, then I am fine with the F drive.

Thanks for the comments!

Highly unlikely that you'll ever actually need a C: drive (presuming everything is working OK now). If a new program tried to install to C: you could just change the drive letter when installing. If you install another hard drive Windows will probably assign it as C:, but again this shouldn't cause any problems as long as you make the Windows drive the boot drive.

G

This has to be one of the worst answers to a good question lol. Some Programs that are made craptacular are fixed strictly to install into the C: Drive. So I highly recommend reduing the install or a registry hack. The issue is that you probably have a media card reader or something else that's taking up the other drives and XP automatically assigns it the next best Drive Letter available. The easy fix is to hack the registry just make sure you follow close attention to the directions...

Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.

these are diff so don't just type in regedit...

Go to Microsoft for the Reg Hack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

So sorry! I don't need that sort of remark so that's me out of these forums.

To the original poster: Take heed of this warning from the link:

"Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else."

Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost