pearlhouse

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Ive been looking on Tom's CPU charts for this Intel Pent. D 925 3.0GHz processor so I could make some comparisons with AMD processors. Can someone help me out here to find how it is listed.
Dumb question here but does the "D" stand for dual core?? and when did this processor first come on the market.
Thanx for help!!!

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
its a POC if you actually have one haha. it runs really slow on my 1920x1200 monitor. max 30fps on every game pretty much. its a real bottleneck

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
If you game much, get a newer series of CPU. If you do office type stuff and just need a working comp, then you could consider it. If all factors are equal (you dont have a friend giving you the 925), then you should get an AMD X2 or a Core chip from intel. Either will use less energy and be faster.

pearlhouse

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanx zeapoorte.
Whats with this forum!
This is the first time Ive used it.
I asked a question for some help and I get 5 wise guy answers that dont give me a hint to my actual question.
I was just asking for help in using the comparison charts.
So I guess Im going to have to be more direct in my future questions.
Thanx again for your help.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It's partly that the mere mention of a netburst CPU in this forum sends some people through the roof. Although it's obviously slower and runs hotter than competing chips, the Pentium D is still a capable CPU, but should be your last choice.

Actually, the answers that people posted are somewhat tame compared to what I've seen around here. But I know what you mean- the disrespect in THG's forum is typically greater than I've seen in other similar forums.

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I have the Pentium D 920. The comments of makotech222, although crass, are right on. It will bottleneck you if you are gaming at high res. In comparison, just about anything in the Athlon X2 series should easily best it.

The Pentium D 9 series was released around February of 2006. I bought the second week they were on sale. They supposedly overclock well, but they give off plenty of heat and use lots of energy. As I said before, if you are looking for a bargain basement deal, look at an Athlon X2, which will offer slightly better to vastly superior performance, create less cooling problems, and use significantly less energy.

If you are buying from a big box (e.g. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) avoid the Pentium 2xxx series or even the Core 2 Duo 4xxx series, as they usually will be locked from overclocking. This, combined with the Athlon X2s cheaper price make it the better choice.

Of course, the Core 2 Duo 6xxx series is the king right now, but I take if you are looking at very low cost systems.

Just avoid Celerons and Semperons like the plague!

It is slower than all of the Athlon 64 X2 processors, although it is not terrifically slower than the X2 3600+. However, the Pentium D 925 will run hotter than almost all Athlon 64 X2 processors except for the original 125-watt X2 6000+ (but not the newer 89-watt X2 6000+) and the X2 6400+.

Dumb question here but does the "D" stand for dual core?? and when did this processor first come on the market.
Thanx for help!!!

Not a dumb question. The D in the Pentium D does stand for "dual-core" but the D in the Celeron D does not stand for dual-core, it stands for "desktop" as the Celeron also has a mobile version, the Celeron M. Note that the Pentium D, the Pentium Dual Core E-series and the Pentium Dual Core T-series are three completely different chips. The Pentium D is based on the Pentium 4 and is a 64-bit desktop chip. The Pentium Dual Core E-series is a 64-bit desktop chip based on the Core 2 Duo. And lastly, the Pentium Dual Core T-series is a 32-bit notebook chip based on the Core Duo (Pentium M.) It's enough to make your head spin, huh?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

This chips is not recommended for any new computer purchase.

Perhaps if you are buying an older used computer for browsing the Internet and some light office work it could be OK.

This is not considered a modern processor by any means.