Read only Word 2002 documents

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how I make a word document read only, so that it can be
opened by the person I am sending it to, without a password, but they cannot
change anything in the document, just read and print it ? Is is possible to
do that ?

Many thanks

Jeanette Joyce
4 answers Last reply
More about read word 2002 documents

    It's possible to do this (but I don't know the exact details of it) but it's
    a futile attempt.

    All you've gotta do is open the read-only document, select the Edit menu,
    then Select All, then Copy. Open a new document and paste the contents into
    it and name it the same and viola! The effort was futile.

    You could invest in a program that'll convert Word documents to PDF files -
    most folks don't have the knowledge for that.

    "daveswifeJJ" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how I make a word document read only, so that it can be
    > opened by the person I am sending it to, without a password, but they cannot
    > change anything in the document, just read and print it ? Is is possible to
    > do that ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Jeanette Joyce

    Waste of time.

    Prompt to open a file as read-only
    You can suggest, but not require, that users open a document as read-only.
    If a user opens the document as read-only and changes it, that person can
    save the document only by giving it a different file name.

    1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. Click Security.
    3. Select the Read-only recommended check box, and then click OK.
    4. Click Save.

    Prompt to open a file as read-only
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051860911033.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8F2620D5-3F69-4187-A211-908B11D46FE6@microsoft.com,
    daveswifeJJ <daveswifeJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "daveswifeJJ" <daveswifeJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how I make a word document read only, so that it can be
    > opened by the person I am sending it to, without a password, but they
    > cannot
    > change anything in the document, just read and print it ? Is is possible
    > do that ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Jeanette Joyce

    I'd agree that this using Word is not the best way to reach the goal of a
    view & print-only document. You are better off converting it to a
    non-editable format, such as an Acrobat document (.pdf). You should be
    able to test this with an online service like this:

    http://www.gohtm.com/

    If it works for you, you might consider purchasing Acrobat or one of the
    other pdf conversion utilities.

    There *are* utilities to help convert .pdf files to text, just as there are
    OCR programs for scanned images and faxes.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan wrote:
    > "daveswifeJJ" <daveswifeJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me how I make a word document read only, so that it can be
    >>opened by the person I am sending it to, without a password, but they
    >>cannot
    >>change anything in the document, just read and print it ? Is is possible
    >>do that ?
    >>
    >>Many thanks
    >>
    >>Jeanette Joyce
    >

    > I'd agree that this using Word is not the best way to reach the goal of a
    > view & print-only document. You are better off converting it to a
    > non-editable format, such as an Acrobat document (.pdf). You should be
    > able to test this with an online service like this:
    >
    > http://www.gohtm.com/
    >
    > If it works for you, you might consider purchasing Acrobat or one of the
    > other pdf conversion utilities.
    >
    > There *are* utilities to help convert .pdf files to text, just as there are
    > OCR programs for scanned images and faxes.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    To add to Patrick's response, if you want to try PDF you can download
    and use a freeware program called CutePDF Writer. Find it at:

    http://www.cutepdf.com/

    gls858

Read Only Document Microsoft Windows XP