Greg3635

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2005
Need help. New build. WD hard drive. XP Home edition.

Please take the time to read it. If I should be posting it elsewhere let me know. Any help is TREMENDOUSLY APPRECIATED.

Everything installed fine. Tried to activate windows. Did not have key. Located key manually. Said it was mistyped. Used key finder. Key was different and this time said unauthorized. Called windows support. They said the key (used with key finder) was good and should work, but since it's not here's a new one. Also did not work. They said contact the manufacturer (me) because it's a hardware issue.

That makes zero sense to me. It lets me install everything but won't allow me to activate windows? But what do I know. I posted a question about it and one replier said that he had a similar issue that was caused by an component that was malfunctioning and causing system instability.

The copy of windows is used was from an old dell machine(2002). A reinstall disk. I have used it multiple times on different computers with no issue. I was able to get a different version of XP. Also from someone's old dell (2001). Same result.

My next step was to test the individual components in an already working computer. I started with the hard drive. After swapping it, reformatting, and reinstalling the same version of windows, I got the same result.

Seems to me I've narrowed my issue down to one of two things. Bad hard drive, or windows issue. Maybe an older version of windows compatibility issue. My problem now is how do I know? I do not have another drive to reformat and test the OP Sys on. I also don't have another version of XP to attempt to install on this drive?

I've reached my limitations. One good thing is I'm gaining great experience.

As always Thanks a million.

Greg

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
The copy of windows is used was from an old dell machine(2002). A reinstall disk. I have used it multiple times on different computers with no issue. I was able to get a different version of XP. Also from someone's old dell (2001). Same result.
You were able to install the Dell OEM version on other computers but can't now? The OEM version is licensed only for the computer it comes with. You are basically guilty of piracy here. I am surprised you were able to activate it and pass the WGA test before.

Also, I have read that the Dell OEM version is customized for their computers. So, that could be an issue too.

Since you are breaking the law, don't expect help. :kaola:

Greg3635

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2005
Thnaks for the help RR.

"Since you are breaking the Breaking_the_Law , don't expect help."

There is only 1 thing I've come to expect of people DX, and you're just the most recent to reaffirm it. Thanks for that too.

As always the HELP is appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

mentalguitar

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
New copies [that is: 1)a valid license number with 2) CD of the software] of XP Pro are available on this and other websites (from hardware vendors) for about $60.
Since you seem to enjoy building systems, and XP has a large driver base. Why not treat yourself to a fresh copy of XP either pro or home.

I do doubt that it is a hardware issue. Installations can get easily corrupted, as all of us know having performed repeat installs on the same workstation. Usually we just reformat and go through the various tasks over again until we get a working OS.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
OEM software requires a bios stamp to work. If you used a Dell OEM copy of windoes to install on a Dell machine with a Dell motherboard it wold most likely have this bios stamp and work. If you use some other motherboard that does not have the bios stamp then it will not be factory activated. Microsoft about 2-3 years ago took away the ability to activate OEM windows keys. Some people were selling the keys or COAs (against microsoft policy) and microsoft took that ability away. So if you used this key several years back you may have been able to activate it. You will not be able to do this anymore. Remember OEM keys live and die with the machine they were sold with. At the very best you would need to use a Dell machine. Anything else you do to get the Dell OEM software to work would not be legal. Its up to you if you want to be legal or not.

You can read more about bios stamping a motherboard here.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/index.php

Greg3635

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2005
Great help guys. I did in fact purchase a copy of XP Pro and of course it worked. I was not aware that the OEM copies were exclusive to dell machines and not usable. Now I know.

As always the help and free education is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Greg