Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading dv9000t HDD

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 1, 2008 8:48:15 PM

Okay well I need some advice and this looks like a nice forum to ask it...

I have an HP Pavilion dv9000t laptop. It currently has a Fujitsu MHV2080BH, 80GB, 5400 RPM, 8MB Cache, SATA 1.5Gb/s. I would like to upgrade to a 320 but am not familiar with SATA, I'm still living in the IDE era.

I emailed HP's customer support and asked if the hard drive in the link below will compatible with my laptop. He told me No, then said it has a maximum of 200GB. What the hell, I've never scene a modern computer with GB limit. Then the link he provided to the place I could buy it from was a 250GB one, so I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about.

Anyway, can anyone or even a few people would be better, convince me one way or the other that this will or won't work with my laptop?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks a lot!
- Mike

More about : upgrading dv9000t hdd

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 1, 2008 8:57:54 PM

Your HP can handle a 320GB easily. You got to remember HP's tech support pretty much reads a script.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 1, 2008 9:06:53 PM

Okay thanks! I kind of though so, because the one their pushing on me is the highest GB available in their part store (not that I'd ever buy an hd there anyway).

Also, I assume since the one I have is 1.5Gb/s, a 3.0Gb/s will not work in it? I don't know how to tell what it supports even after checking the specifications in the service manual pdf.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 1, 2008 9:13:44 PM

A 3GB SATA will work. It just will run at 1.5GB speed which is fast enough anyway.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 2, 2008 12:25:51 AM

So back to the first one I was looking at after disregarding HP's message...

Western Digital Scorpio
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Says 3.0GB. I just put it in and it decides to run at 1.5GB, or is there a bios setting, or what?

I appreciate the help :) 
a b G Storage
September 2, 2008 1:17:28 AM

No bios setting needed - it should just automatically work.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 3, 2008 6:43:32 PM

Bought one, installed fresh Vista, and it works great!

!