quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
i have the sycthe pwm fan. its awesome. my computer is dead silent at night when im in bed. i have a fan bay to turn off all other system fans.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
What do you mean by "best"? The most powerful fan with no concern for noise? Or the quietest fan that offers the best cfm/noise? Or a balance of both?

For the most powerful and well balanced, there are quite a few out there, but I think Scythe's Ultra Kaze is one of the best. You can use a fan controller to make it near silent.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I don't have any but I would be extra careful to keep all wires and fingers away while they are on. I know this sounds like a no brainer but it happens. Anyway, I heard that it doesn't take a lot of extra tension on the blades to cause the motor to throw oil all over the inside of you case. :ouch:

That would suck.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

SilenX Fans are expensive and totally not worth the money. All the specs they list are lies as well.

gLip

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
According to one of Germany's more respected hardware magazines, the Scythe S-Flex SFF21E is the best (Note the "E" at the end), followed by the new Noctua NF-S12-1200 and then a Yate Loon (forget the model number). The Aerocool Turbine 1000 came fourth I think.

The SilenX is apparently really bad at what it does and the testers couldn't find any reason behind the price tag. Perhaps "really bad" is the wrong phrase, but not good enough in any way.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Hehe, great minds think alike, eh?

I'm planing exactly that, the Scythe Ultra Kaze with the Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller. This combo can't be beaten.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

No, because you can always lower your high speed fan down to 90cfm, but you can't up your low speed fan to 133cfm.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Of course there's a valid argument of against getting a 133cfm fan, since more often than not I won't be using full speed. But seeing that the price is a bout the same and all, just in case my cpu starts overheating or global warming hits us hard, I have the potential to increase my fan speed.

Also, higher speed models are usually better at undervolting.

G

Just a note to whoever will be reading this thread. I have ordered few of the 133.6cfm fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054. Performance wise the fan is great, really loud at full speed. So I decided to get a controller HOWEVER if voltage and current drops (from fan controller) the fan will be giving an irritating humming noise. It's very annoying, my advise to you is think twice before you order them.