Sign in with
Your question

Help! Need to recover data from external USB HD

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2008 12:58:09 AM

Ok, I am very desperate here. I just finished installing a new PSU into my PC and was about to install windows. I forgot I had my external USB HD hooked up still and I deleted the drives partition using the windows setup. NOTE: I did not format, just deleted the partition data. Is there any way I can recover the files? My entire life is on that drive, I am basically crying here. Please I need help badly.

To clarify a bit, when you are setting up windows the install asks you what you want to do with your drives, I deleted its partition, realized what I did and immediately shut off my PC, therefore I did nto reach the formatting section yet. (Windows XP)

More about : recover data external usb

September 2, 2008 3:57:03 PM

1. Disconnect your external drive, start over and proceed with your Windows installation on your internal hard drive.
2. Once Windows is up and running, plug the external hard drive in. Windows will tell you that the drive is not formatted and do you want to format it now? Do not format the drive. Just cancel.
3. Download the demo of Active@ Partition Recovery. Run it and see if it can detect the partition information on the external drive.
4. If it can, purchase it, and recover your partition.

If this doesn't work, post back, there is another program we can try, but it's more complicated.
September 2, 2008 11:27:01 PM

Ok, I did what you said and the program does see the external drive, I will attach a screen shot so you can see what I mean clearly. It describes the external drive as an unallocated partition.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 2, 2008 11:44:07 PM

Try EasyRecovery Professional. If your running vista you'll need to run it in compatability mode.
September 3, 2008 12:28:49 AM

You need to click to highlight the Unallocated Partition and then click the "Quickscan" button in the toolbar. This should show the deleted partition.

If it shows it, then it's ready to recover it as soon as you buy the program and enter the activation code.
September 3, 2008 12:57:58 AM

I really appreciate all your efforts, thank you so much I now have my data back! :bounce:  Thank you!
September 3, 2008 2:46:07 AM

Awesome. Now back it up. :)  :D 
August 19, 2009 1:05:17 PM

You seem to know a lot about this. I did a superscan of my primary disk (my extern harddrive contains of this and an extended partition, which i've recovered). Now it shows 14 partitions and I cant recover a single one, I get the message: It overlaps with other partitions. I cant delete anyone of these either... Help?
a c 326 G Storage
September 19, 2012 5:58:13 AM

@duke_nukem, your problem description is unclear. Could you please clarify?
!