CraZyNOTRT

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
i thinking about upgrading to an Pentium d 965.

question about Engineering Sample, are they hardware specific ? or are they just like retail cpus but unlocked?

4745454b

Titan
You seem to be asking two questions, one about upgrading, the other about ES.

I can't say whether upgrading to the 965 is a good idea or not. I know that the higher 800/900 series chips tends to be a bad idea. Performance wise, they get passed by even the slowest of the C2D chips. If you can, get one of them. I can't really say what to get however, as I don't know what you have, or your budget.

As for ES, then can be like retail cpus, but you aren't even supposed to have an ES. ES chips are sent to motherboard manufactures so they can make motherboards that will work with them. Its illegal to even own them outside of whoever Intel/AMD has granted permission to use. This forum even had a nice thread in it awhile back where someone bought what was supposed to be a new C2D, but the company shipped him an ES. He contacted Intel with the information, and shipped them the ES, as its illegal for the company he bought it from to even own it. In short, don't worry about an ES, you probably will never see one. (it is possible to buy an OEM CPU, but OEM is different from ES. An OEM is exactly like a retail CPU, but it doesn't come with a heatsink or fan.)

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Electronics & computers may use different terms, but ES that we see "on the market" are usually Early Working Editions, seldom Late Working Editions.

Early Editions are sent out by the "thousands". The manufacturer expects many of them to abused and fried. That is a purpose of the Early Edition.... to work the big bugs out of the system. To be reliable there needs to be a large sample of the product in the testing stream.

Late Working Editions are tested in smaller batches. Increasingly smaller batches. Most of the big bugs have been worked out of the system, so LWE is just fine tuning the product. In addition LWE are closer to the final product, so a LWE will be closer to the final products actual performance, whereas an EWE may be fairly crude and even a poor performer as the product has may have gone through several generations of upgrade in the testing process.

LWE will be closely guarded. Very closely guarded. The more paranoid the company, the closer the guarding. The closer to the final product the greater the paranoia.

As attractive as a LWE may seem, remember that the final consumer product may have gone through another upgrade cycle (or two) and may be far superior to the LWE.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
PS....

In the case of a CPU, whenever Intel/AMD are changing their socket design, there will be a flood of EWE chips that are mockups of the socket design. That means there are no guts to the chip. The mockups are needed to test the MB's connection.

Go ahead and buy one of those chips.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

What happened then? was their like a court case for the distributor?

That was a classic thread: The OP received an ES, complained and returned the ES back to the eTailer - But documented what happened with pictures. After some back and forth with Intel, he went *back* to the E-tailer and said he wanted the chip after all. Not only did the eTailer respond, but they actually sent him a *different* Engineering sample processor. So they were guilty *twice*. The original poster and recipient of the Engineering Sample(s) sent the new sample to Intel and helped Intel gather more info on the retailer. The thread hinted at, but never really came out and said, that the retailer was suspected by Intel for doing the same thing on a larger scale. It was a huge thread, but no detailed specifics as to the seller or details on exactly what Intel did with the info. The original poster basically stated that he was satisfied that Intel was doing both the right thing for him, while also handling the shady E-tailer. In the end in exchange for the ES C2 Extreme and his help, Intel rewarded the original poster with a brand new top of the line Core2Quad, also an Extreme Edition. The OP stated that he didn't ask for anything more than the part he ordered, but got the (then just introduced) Quad instead of a Duo. We do know that Intel reps were tracking the thread here.

As for the E-tailer who originally sold the ES part - We dont' know exactly. But the obvious approach would be for Intel to revoke their licence to sell Intel products. But since the name of the E-tailer was never posted here, we don't know exactly who that was.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
If you got an ES chip, just tip Intel (or AMD)...you might get equivalent of QX6700 (like the one in the above mentioned story)...but that's just his LUCK...the thread was long, I can't remember haw many pages though...Simply put, don't accept ES cpus, or anything for that matter

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I strongly recommend buying only retail, boxed, Intel or AMD processors. That way you get the full warranty and you greatly diminish the chances of getting a bogus ES processor.

4745454b

Titan
Considering the problems that might be inside an ES, I don't see why you'd want one. Sure, it might have an unlocked multiplier, but is that worth the extra problems that might be there? Usually each "respin" or stepping adds improvements to the chips, allowing it to run cooler or faster. I wouldn't want to buy something only to find out that it is slower then its supposed to be.