Does this idle temp seem high for a stock Q6600 w/ LQ?

garyknowz1

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Here’s all I have on the loop (for now):

Q6600 2.4GHz –

Cooling system:

Koolance Exos2 750
CPU 340 cooling block

I want to overclock to 3.0 to 3.3ish. But my idle temps seem to be running higher than I would have expected with a pretty nice liquid cooling system (between 30 to 31C with fans maxed out). Does this seem right, or is something wrong? This is my first LC system (first build, in fact), so I’m not altogether sure what to expect.

Also, as I OC, how high can I expect these temps to safely rise?

Thanks.
Gary K

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
It seems a little high, but managable i suppose. Your load temps are the most important thing. I know when I was OCing my G0 with my custom loop, it didn't start to idle in the 30's until I hit 3.6GHz

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Depends on the heat as well. I have a water set up, and if it starts out warm in the room, the temps reach a higher min level.

I am sure you all know that!

While the TRUEs efficiency doesnt become impacted as much by overall temps because it's active air cooling, (With a fan.) I have noticed while my TRUE will outperform my water when its warm in my room. When you take away 10c from that heat, the liquid whoops a$$, as long as it can start out somewhat cool.

In my hot room at my other place my water junk for a processor was very disappointing. But when its all nice and cool, the water gains a a distinct advantage over the TRUE.

Okay, okay! I guess I am trying to mention that it appears to be a scale that drastically looses efficiency simply based off of the ambient temps. at 17c about 63 degrees, my water cooler is waaaaaaay great! But start out at 22c or near 70 degrees, and the CPU/Cores get way hot! More than the 6c difference in my room temps!

I guess the hotter it is, the easier the CPU gets the liquid hotter, lol! Nice to know... do they make an efficient small chiller??

--Lupi