New non-gaming system... Advice needed :o)

norad

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Hi,

I've been reading as much as I can, but still cannot decide for parts. I'd really appreciate any help...

Here is some info:
* $2000-2500 budget
* definitely not a gaming machine (may play a game once in a while though)
* not thinking of OC, but won't say no to it if I can (I don't think it's bad idea to pay $50-100 for a cooler in order to get the perfomance of a much more expensive CPU)
* RAID is a must. If possible, I'd like to have 2 RAID arrays (System: RAID1 on 2x WD Raptor 150GB | Storage: RAID5 on 4x Seagate 750GB 7200.10)

Motherboard: ?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (seems like it's a good value and everyone's fav)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler (to keep OC option open)

Video: No clue. I'll use a 24" Dell widescreen monitor. I just need a good performance/value card. Don't need a very powerful and expensive one.

Memory: Crucial 4GB

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Fatality Platinum

Hard Drive: 2x WD Raptor 150GB (RAID1) & 4x Seagate 750GB 7200.10 (RAID5)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-203B

Power Supply: Ultra X3 800-Watt (Do I need a bigger PSU? I'll have 5-7 hard drives)

Case: Ultra Wizard

norad

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

What if I decide to have only one RAID5 array instead of two? Would you still recommend me using a dedicated RAID Controller? What's the disadvantage of integrated onboard RAID controllers? Aren't they reliable?

runswindows95

Distinguished
My question is if this machine isn't for gaming, then what will it be used for that you need that much performance considering you won't be running software, i.e. games, that would actually push that system?

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

Alot of them crap out when one your disks goes bad, they put more load on the chipset and cpu.

Get a good pci-e raid card and a board that has a x16 slot for video and a x4 or better for the raid card.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

ditto

norad

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

it will be used for:

* virtual machines
* home server for development
* some (not intensive) video and photo editing

any other recommendations? especially for mobo?

runswindows95

Distinguished
Okay, here's my suggestions:

1) With this kind of budget, get a Tier 1 or at least 2 PSU:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

2) If you're planning to mess around with Linux, get a Nvidia based card. My suggestion would be the 8600GT since you're not doing that much gaming.

3) If you're not that concerned about audio, you could always drop the sound card to save some money. The integrated cards are good enough these days.

4) Ditto on the suggestion of the dedicated RAID card.