Slight issue powering on..it works, but...

thundercade

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I searched quite a bit on this board and Google, but could not find instances of this exact problem.

When I press the power button on my case - it makes kind of a "beeeuuwww" sound as the fans start up, then they immediately power down, BUT then the system immediately powers up and runs just fine. It only powers down just for a second or two, then back up like normal. I've had no problems with anything at all, whether I keep in running, put it in standby, or shut it down (however, I had not yet put the system under heavy gaming load yet). When I do shut the system down - it makes that exact same sound, which makes me think that the system is somehow powering down for a second when I turn it on, then back up.

My components are: ASUS PK5-E, Intel Q6600, WD 10kRPM 74GB HDD, SG 250GB HDD, nVidia 8800GTX, Antec Trio True Power 650W PSU, stock CPU fan, - Antec 900 case, which does have four fans on it (3x 120 adn 1x 200mm).

Has anyone seen this before?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Yes, my P5K does the same thing, regardless of the PSU used. It seems to be normal behaviour, I read somewhere that the system had to initially "reset" before it can power up. Don't worry about it.

Asus boards do this "double startup" when certain BIOS settings are changed such as FSB frequency. It only does it the first time and should not do it on subsequent startups. Asus has information on this phenomenon in their FAQ section:

Question
Why will my system power off and on again sometimes after altering CPU or memory settings in BIOS?
Is that normal?

Answer
Yes, that is normal. Due to chipset limitation of Intel ICH8 and above chipsets, system will require a full reset after such change is made to system to trigger the southbridge chipset.

thundercade

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
But it does do it every time I power it on (and it happens exactly the same way) - I just get this eerie feeling like I'm slowly frying my computer's insides. Is there a way to change the BIOS so this doesn't happen?

thundercade

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
P.S.

One thing I did change in the BIOS was to disable the Floppy boot, since I don't have a floppy drive and thought this may screw up start up. Would that do it.

thundercade

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Ok, I thought back, and indeed, every time I had done a hard boot - I had in fact unplugged everything before (which, I read, is another condition that will trigger this double boot behaviour).

I tried powering off, then rebooting (not unplugging the power cord, or switching off the power supply this time) and there was no double boot!!! Thank you Busted and rwp for your input.