P35-DS3L + Crucial Ballistix + E8400

quick2822

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
Rookie overclocker here..

I'm having a problem finding information for this combo. I've found guides for the specific parts but it is always the config for some other motherboard, or they mention settings I can't find. I was hoping maybe I've just had bad luck searching.

I've overclocked my CPU to 3.6 but I know it can go higher, just not sure what to set the vcore, it keeps flashing that my settings aren't optimzed, so I left System Voltage Control on Auto.

Anyone have this combo and have overclocked it? I've love a quick run down of your BIOS setup or atleast maybe some recommended settings to try.

I tried overclocking my memory to 4 4 4 12, but it wouldn't boot and I'm sure it had to do with the voltage but it kept flashing that the voltage wasn't optimzed.

Any help would be great..

Thanks everyone.

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I think I have the same setup as you. I have Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR2 800. I've tried 4-4-4-12 with this memory and It just wont stabalize. I can only keep my timings at 5-5-5-15 to hit 4.0mhz. Read this in an article that will probably help you out.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=717&p=2

By simply increasing the CPU FSB to 445MHz, the 9x clock multiplier of the E8400 has allowed us to run this processor at 4.0GHz with very few tweaks. In fact, other than the FSB change, we were only required to increase the CPU voltage from 1.3625v to 1.4000v in order to achieve total stability. However keep in mind that a 445MHz FSB will force you to run the DDR2 memory at no less than 890MHz, though most DDR2-800 memory modules should be capable of this.

Those trying to reach 4GHz with DDR2-800 memory might be forced to back off the timings. For example, if your memory is designed to operate at CAS4-4-4-12, it may be necessary to loosen those timings to CAS5-5-5-15. Also, increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.9~2.1v could also be necessary. Something else to be aware of is that the CPU voltage increase dramatically increased the thermal output of our E8400 processor. Using the standard voltage at 3.6GHz saw a stress temp of just 37 degrees, while this temperature sky rocketed to 60 degrees when operating with more voltage at 4.0GHz!

gLip

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I have the same set up too, except that I have a DS3R instead of the DS3L - so basically the same board - and I have the DDR2-1066 Ballistix.

I've turned off all of my auto settings, including the voltage control. Some E8400s can go to 4.0 GHz with 1.36 V whilst I can't get it Prime95 stable with 1.4 V.

Make sure to turn off all energy saving features too, such as EIST (can't remember what it's called in your BIOS - check the description on the right for things which lower your CPU speed at idle etc.) All of the speed enhancing features, which you can set to things like "Turbo", should be turned off too, i.e. set to standard.

1.36 should be plenty for 3.6 GHz, my bad CPU can do 3.8 with that. You can either set it to that and work your way down (until it isn't stable) or you can work your way up until it's stable. 1.4 V is as high as I am willing to go with mine, you can go higher if you wish but it's generally not recommended. For now you can leave all of your other settings (FSB over voltage control or something with a similar name etc.)

Generally speaking, higher MHz on your RAM helps more than tighter timings. However, your RAM is rated at 2.2 V, not 1.8 V which they are set to by default in your BIOS. In the voltage section, set it to +0.4 V, as it's always "1.8 + xx V". Don't worry about the purple color which the "+0.4V" is written in, this is what your RAM is rated at.

Here's a guide for the DS3L written by Shadow703793:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=245679&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Hope I helped.

TRENDING THREADS