I HAVE QUESTION ABOUT ECC PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Hi my name Bill i am overclock my system and noticed the option that says "ECC Enable" and how do I get it to work?

no matter what I do, i have tried on, it says off in CPU-Z that I got from www.cpuid.com (which you should get its really good at displaying system information about your system).

also i'm in the i.t. field so you can be technical in answers please but dont use acronyms i don't know

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
ECC is Error Checking/Correction.

requires special ECC ram to work (has multiples of 9 chips, instead of 8, plus an additional 1 or 2 for support of ECC).

in a home system, its absolutely useless 99% of the time. In a server enviroment, it can be usefull, as it sometimes is able to detect a failing ram location(s), and correct the error, or at least allow the OS to continue working instead of totally going ape-**** when it runs into it.

Pretty much, leave it off.

ps. ECC ram is typically slower than normal ram too

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
no i want ecc on my because my motherboard supports it and ir ead on google how it corrects errors and my system crashes alot but with ecc it would correct errors also my system is more than a server i use it for a server and also my own computer for gaming, so it makes sence that it has settings like a server like ecc on and comports off and other things such as

does anyone else know?

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
no i want ecc on my current ram, the option is there it just doesn't turn on unless im doing something wrong but its just one bios setting and other bios settings work so i dont think its the bios

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I have the option in the bios, it just doesn't work right or my bios is broken but as i already said other settings work

this is worse than the 2ghz problem

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
just because the option is in the bios, dont mean your ram supports it... as previously mentioned, you MUST have ECC ram (all modules) for it to work.

and 2ghz problem??

Also, just because your crashing dont mean ECC will fix it.. it in all likelyhood (I am willing to bet my left jewel on this) it will NOT stop your crashing.

Also, looking at the system in the signature, I am willing to bet your gaming some.. that will mean you do NOT want ECC, as it WILL slow your system down. As I said before, ECC ram is NOT as fast as standard non-ECC ram, not to mention is a lot more expensive!

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Here's your problem. As far as your ECC issue goes, there's a very good chance you can't enable it because you don't have RAM that allows ECC. Just because your BIOS gives you the option to turn it on, doesn't mean it will work. If your computer is crashing the chances that it's an error with your RAM is fairly slim. With your specs I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have a large enough power supply or some overheating issues.

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
i dont want to have to buy new parts, plus my power supply is already 250W mad dog

im sure somebody out there knows how to get this awesome feature working...??!?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
ECC won't work if you don't have ECC RAM..it's as simple as that. I don't think this guy is getting the concept. And that powersupply...250w MIGHT have been alright back in the days of P3, but more than likely not today.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE ECC RAM TO BE ABLE TO USE ITS FUNCTIONALITY!!!

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
ok i just found out from a friend that you need a different ram stick to use ecc so nevermind

unless someone has an idea how to make it work without buying new parts?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS