Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hi all. I recently upgraded to an E8500 and 4GB of RAM (from 2GB). I know that my CPU is 100% stable at 4GHz and probably higher, but my RAM just can't go that high - at those sorts of FSB's it crashes my whole system as soon as I do anything which puts some strain on the RAM. At around 3.94GHz I can increase the voltage to keep the RAM stable, but that's 2.3V (up from 1.8-2.1V stock, 2.2V EVP). At 2.35V I get bizarre errors, like antivirus not loading properly on startup, and at 2.4V the system just doesn't boot - bluescreens before I get to windows. My CPU temps are fine, around 50C load according to RealTemp at these sorts of clocks.

Does anyone have any ideas for stabilising my RAM? Any help would be much appreciated :)

My specs:
Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi
E8500
4GB PC2-6400 OCz Platinum
250GB WD Caviar SE16
8800GTS 512MB

Incidentally, the highest clock I'm comfortable running my PC is 3.9GHz (took it back from its limit a bit), with the RAM at 2.25V and a 1:1 RAM to FSB ratio. I usually boot up knowing what I'll be doing for the next few hours, so I only overclock when I'm going to be running a fairly new game or something, rather than just having my system running at unnecessary clocks. Also, oddly, when I only had 2GB of RAM it could run at its default 800MHz without me changing any voltage settings in the BIOS, but now to do that I have to up the voltage to at least 2 or 2.1V. I've tried increasing the NB Vcore, but that did nothing, and I don't want to try increasing it too far.

Thanks, DG

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
:)
Unless you have the luck o the Irish!
I Always use 4 sticks. Few problems. Other than forcing 4 reaperx in a board! LOL, tight fit!

Well, I would suggest lowering the multi to where its near stock speed and then test the ram to make sure your processor OC settings are screwing things up!

Turn off Clock twister! Turn off transaction booster! Turn off static what ever the hell! They all mess with yer Ram in secret ways!

--Lupi!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
check your timing for the memory as some bios set some rediculous timing.i got my MSI p35 platinum set the tRFC to 38 rather then the normal 42 which it kept freezing up my system.

Latest posts