1000€+aprox xmas rig; are those components compatible etc?

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Hi there,

Just asking if those are compatible between them:

CPU:
Q6600 (G0 revision)

Graphic Card:
Asus 8800GT/XFX 8800 XT or XXX (the one that is avalible faster, since they are all sold out atm)

Mobo:
Asus P5E WS PRO or Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Socket 775 DDR2

RAM:
GeIL DIMM kit 2 GB DDR2-800 (GX22GB6400UDC)

PSU:
Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W Modular (the selectable cables one)

HD:
I already have two SATA HD's (200GB and 250GB Seagates), but would like to buy a 500GB one, so I can save time while moving files between HD's/burning stuff (sometimes useless) to DVDs you'll never look for again. Anyway, what brand is the best atm? I've heard 500GB's one from Samsung is the best 500GB one.

CPU FAN:
Here comes my main doubt atm. I want to get a pretty decent one, but I don't know. I've seen the ASUS Silent Square Pro. That thing is huge, but is the best when it comes to silence/temps. Im really into OC, but if I get one of thoses, I guess I can go up to 2,8ghz, even to 3,0 stable ghz from the initial 2,4ghz. My doubt comes because of the size of the fan. I've readed that it doesn't fit in some cases and some motherboards. I don't want to modify anything (I've readed that you have to bend the disipators that come with some ASUS motherboards near the CPU socket), so I want to be sure everything will feet when by default when im building it.

Thats it for now, thanks.

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Forgot to add the case:
Lian-Li PC-7BYCF- Black

If anyone has info about this one, please post it. Specially I want to know if that lateral 25cm fan does a lot of noise. I hope not.

akhilles

Splendid
GPU: Wait one more week for the new 512MB 8800GTS for about 300-350 USD. It's 2nd to Ultra.

MOBO: Get the P5E. FYI, some members reported the DQ6 can't run 4 sticks of ram over 800mhz.

Harddisks: no such thing as best. Just personal preference & experience. If you go Seagate, get the 7200.11 for a bit speed boost over the old ones.

CPU HSFs: Any of the top of the line ones is good for overclocking.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

I think we all know that that will be the real price for a matter of minutes. ;)

I see these touching $425. Then again, I don't really know what I am talking about.

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

Im not really interested in going far beyond 250€ with the GPU. Anyway, I want to play Crysis and more games ASAP, I don't know if i'll be able to wait :lol:

About CPU HSFs: Yeah I guess expensive ones are good lol. But as I stated, those are very huge, like the one I've been looking for (ASUS Silent Square Pro). So, my doubt is if they fit in my case and motherboard, since some users stated problems with those sort of huge fans in some cases/motherboards.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Why not go for a nice Scythe cooler? I'd recommend the Scythe Ninja plus, rev. B. Solid cooler, but that thing is huuuge ;-) Be sure to check it won't block any items on your board, such as RAM.
If you're an OC enthousiast, why not go with water cooling than?

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my bad, I said "im really into OC" but I wanted to say "im NOT really into OC" :)

Anyway, what you say is what I ask: I have no idea if I'll have problems getting a really big one like ASUS Silent Square Pro in terms of not fitting with the mobo and case im going to buy (mobo=Asus P5E WS PRO or Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Socket 775 DDR2, case=Lian-Li PC-7BYCF- Black). I guess anyone can clarify this asap.

Thanks.