Error Message

Last response: in Video Games
February 11, 2005 8:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

When I start my Sim City 4 game I get an error message box saying "The
configuration file (Graphics Rules.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using built-in
rules." What does this mean and how do I fix this problem please?

More about : error message

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:10:17 PM

"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
> When I start my Sim City 4 game I get an error message box saying "The
> configuration file (Graphics Rules.sgr) cannot be parsed. Using built-in
> rules." What does this mean and how do I fix this problem please?

Don't know if this is exactly the answer to your own problem but this is
what EA's answer is on their support website.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/endus...

Why does 'The configuration files, graphics rules.sgr cannot be parsed using
built in rules' error message occur?

The configuration files, graphics rules.sgr cannot be parsed using built in
rules, is an error message meaning that the Graphics Rules.sgr configuration
file is corrupted or otherwise unreadable. This can occur for many reasons
ranging from an improper installation of the expansion or patch, or the use
of a non-official patch.

If you are using a unofficial patch, you will need to uninstall the game and
remove the left over components added by the unofficial patch. Once
removed, you can reinstall and the game should operate properly.
These left over files can typically be found in the game directory located
in the following locations:
My Documents\SimCity 4
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4
If this is happening when you patch the game or upgrade to the Rush Hour
expansion, it means that the Graphics Rules.sgr file is not detecting
properly. To correct this, do the following:
Uninstall the game.
Delete the following two directories:
My Documents\SimCity 4
C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4
Reinstall SimCity 4.
Copy the Graphics Rules.sgr file located at C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4
, and paste it to your desktop as a backup.
Patch the game or install Rush Hour, depending on your original issue.
Paste the Graphics Rules.sgr file located on your desktop to C:\Program
Files\Maxis\SimCity 4.
When asked if you are sure, select yes to overwrite the corrupted file.

hth

Skeatsan''co