Hello....I haven't visited this forum lately so forgive me if this subject
has been addressed.
I have Win XP HE and have two user accounts. When one logs off ( & if
its been idle for app. 15 mins.) ..the puter locks up..This has never
happened in the past.
(usually after app. ten minutes the WindowsXP logo appears randomly on
screen which I'm assuming is normal .When moving the mouse, the Windows sign
on screen appears.This happens sometimes).What I mean by locking up is that
when we move the pointer to get to the sign on screen, the screen just
becomes black...
the only thing that works is the mouse pointer...We don't
get the Windows sign on screen..What we have to do is reboot. Very annoying!
Has anyone
else had this problem?..I keep my puter maintained e.g.
spyware,.defrag..virus defs. updated.....etc..
Any advice will be appreciated . Thanx for your time! Jim

Try updating your video drivers. If your video is onboard then visit the
motherboard manufacturer's site and see if there are updates. If this is an
add-on video card then visit it's manufacturer and see if they have a new
driver. If there are no new drivers it is still possible that the driver has
become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"James L" <henz@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello....I haven't visited this forum lately so forgive me if this subject
> has been addressed.
> I have Win XP HE and have two user accounts. When one logs off ( & if
> its been idle for app. 15 mins.) ..the puter locks up..This has never
> happened in the past.
> (usually after app. ten minutes the WindowsXP logo appears randomly on
> screen which I'm assuming is normal .When moving the mouse, the Windows
sign
> on screen appears.This happens sometimes).What I mean by locking up is
that
> when we move the pointer to get to the sign on screen, the screen just
> becomes black...
> the only thing that works is the mouse pointer...We don't
> get the Windows sign on screen..What we have to do is reboot. Very
annoying!
> Has anyone
> else had this problem?..I keep my puter maintained e.g.
> spyware,.defrag..virus defs. updated.....etc..
> Any advice will be appreciated . Thanx for your time! Jim

Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the display
adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim

> Try updating your video drivers. If your video is onboard then visit the
> motherboard manufacturer's site and see if there are updates. If this is
an
> add-on video card then visit it's manufacturer and see if they have a new
> driver. If there are no new drivers it is still possible that the driver
has
> become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "James L" <henz@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Hello....I haven't visited this forum lately so forgive me if this
subject
> > has been addressed.
> > I have Win XP HE and have two user accounts. When one logs off ( & if
> > its been idle for app. 15 mins.) ..the puter locks up..This has never
> > happened in the past.
> > (usually after app. ten minutes the WindowsXP logo appears randomly on
> > screen which I'm assuming is normal .When moving the mouse, the Windows
> sign
> > on screen appears.This happens sometimes).What I mean by locking up is
> that
> > when we move the pointer to get to the sign on screen, the screen just
> > becomes black...
> > the only thing that works is the mouse pointer...We don't
> > get the Windows sign on screen..What we have to do is reboot. Very
> annoying!
> > Has anyone
> > else had this problem?..I keep my puter maintained e.g.
> > spyware,.defrag..virus defs. updated.....etc..
> > Any advice will be appreciated . Thanx for your time! Jim

Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the display
adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim

p.s. that last reply was from me, Jim, not Bev . I'm remoting from her
puter .Sorry

"BEV TAYLOR" <bt_treyya@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the display
> adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim
>

> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > Try updating your video drivers. If your video is onboard then visit the
> > motherboard manufacturer's site and see if there are updates. If this is
> an
> > add-on video card then visit it's manufacturer and see if they have a
new
> > driver. If there are no new drivers it is still possible that the driver
> has
> > become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "James L" <henz@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > Hello....I haven't visited this forum lately so forgive me if this
> subject
> > > has been addressed.
> > > I have Win XP HE and have two user accounts. When one logs off ( & if
> > > its been idle for app. 15 mins.) ..the puter locks up..This has never
> > > happened in the past.
> > > (usually after app. ten minutes the WindowsXP logo appears randomly
on
> > > screen which I'm assuming is normal .When moving the mouse, the
Windows
> > sign
> > > on screen appears.This happens sometimes).What I mean by locking up
is
> > that
> > > when we move the pointer to get to the sign on screen, the screen just
> > > becomes black...
> > > the only thing that works is the mouse pointer...We don't
> > > get the Windows sign on screen..What we have to do is reboot. Very
> > annoying!
> > > Has anyone
> > > else had this problem?..I keep my puter maintained e.g.
> > > spyware,.defrag..virus defs. updated.....etc..
> > > Any advice will be appreciated . Thanx for your time! Jim

The display adapter

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"James L" <bt_treyya@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the display
> adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim
>
> p.s. that last reply was from me, Jim, not Bev . I'm remoting from her
> puter .Sorry
>

> "BEV TAYLOR" <bt_treyya@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the display
>> adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim
>>

>> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> > Try updating your video drivers. If your video is onboard then visit
>> > the
>> > motherboard manufacturer's site and see if there are updates. If this
>> > is
>> an
>> > add-on video card then visit it's manufacturer and see if they have a
> new
>> > driver. If there are no new drivers it is still possible that the
>> > driver
>> has
>> > become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> >

>> > "James L" <henz@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> subject
> on
> Windows
>> > sign
> is
>> > that
>> > annoying!

Malke

James L wrote:

> Thanx for the reply . Forgive my ignorance, but would that be the
> display
> adapter or the monitor drivers? Thanx Jim
>
> p.s. that last reply was from me, Jim, not Bev . I'm remoting from
> her puter .Sorry

Video card adapter.

Malke
--