Romb

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hello guys,

rig:
q6600 proc
Maximus Formula mobo bios version 901
4x1GB Corsair XMS 6400C4

memtest86 fails all test withing seconds, HSI memtest (run from windows) also detects errors. Bios at default settings but also tried lots of manual settings (memory 1.9-2.2, NB 1.5-1.6, timings 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15, freq 677-800). I disabled Legacy USB support as I read this can conflict with memtest86.

Tried 4x1GB and put each stick in individually; only in 2, 3 and 4th DDR2 channel though, as my 38mm thick cpu fan is pretty much blocking the first channel (hat to cut a part from the DHX heatspreader on memory stick 1 to fit it), but placing a stick in another dimm slot should not cause all errors.

I am also suspecting the Maximus Formula mobo because it would be freaky if I got 4 bad Corsair sticks all at once !

For the rest computer works pretty fine. I can oc the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz (400x9) but only Prime stable with the small FFT test (which hardly uses any RAM). When I use blend test, I will get P95 error, as this test uses way more ram I guess.

First time booting I set memory volt to 2.1 (or 2.2 dont remember) and later I discovered the mobo approx overvolts 0.9 Volts so the mem was running above it's specced 2.1 Volt and the system crashed a couple of times. But I doubt this can cause permanent failure on all 4 sticks; 2.2 with overvolting to 2.3 is too high but not THAT high.

Anyways, I AM SCREWED ! Put all this money in my new Crysis rig and it fails all fundamental tests ! I threw away the boxes so I am pretty sure I will not be able to return the parts !!!!

I did read somewhere that memtest86 doesnt support the X38 chipset yet, but I also read others being able to get it running for longer periods of time; mine fails within first minute. And besides I didnt read any HSI memtest incompatibility issues with X38 and that test fails as well.

Any tips, suggestions and/or tricks are welcome because, as stated, I was stupid enough to throw all original packaging away, packaging that's required for rma, so I'm 99% sure my etailer will say : sr*w you, have fun with your defect mobo and ram

:cry: :fou: :cry: :fou: :cry: :fou:

By the way I also bought a 250,- Euros Thermaltake 1200W PSU which is supposed to have 87% efficiency and all but several monitoring apps report the 3.3V as only outputting 3.2V or so. That also cant be good. I know psu's get less efficient once they are only used at fraction of maximum output but then even so 3.2V is just too low from my layman pov.

By the way 1 should have done my pre-buying research (even) better as those Corsiar sticks (v1.2) apparently have Promos chips on them instead of eralier used Micron chips. Lots of bad vibe on Promos on the net

By the way 2 also read after buying that some Maximus Formulas are just plainly bad manufactured, especially (or only ?!) the ones made in China (as opposed to Taiwanese made). Guess were my board was made .....