Crossfire 3870 not working with 8GB (P5E)

chiltonj

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
In the Catalyst Control Center app, when I click on enable Crossfire with 8GB on an Asus P5E, my screen would go black and just sit there. I also got a few blue screens (Vista Ultimate 64). After several iterations of driver unload and loads, I ran into another board where someone had the same problem and figured out that if he took out 4GB of his 8GB, enabling Crossfire worked just fine. So, I removed 4GB and it enabled just fine.

Anyone else run into this? I'm not sure if it's the Asus board or with the ATI cards and Crossfire.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
whoa, thanks for the heads up. i want to use this board and crossfire two of your cards. that is odd tho, 8gb and it blacks out, 4 it works...is vista ultimate any good for gaming in general? does it help any? if not, i will just stick with xp and get sp3, if it comes out

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
The blackout could be the results of lots of things.....hardware or even vista itself....not many people run that much memory......I'd just stick with the 4gigs and leave it alone as that's way plenty for anything...Update the mobo's bios too and keep checking for new updates and that may be the culprit