Sign in with
Your question

Help this newb build a $1500 dollar gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2007 11:18:14 PM
November 27, 2007 11:34:48 PM

what is your power supply? Your PSU has to be good to handle those components you have listed. The system looks good otherwise.
November 28, 2007 3:49:03 AM

majorpain1588 said:
what is your power supply? Your PSU has to be good to handle those components you have listed. The system looks good otherwise.

I think the max power I can get is 1000W.
Related resources
November 28, 2007 4:17:38 AM

Heh...you don't need a high wattage PSU, you just need a high quality PSU. Corsair 520HX or 620HX would both be excellent choices.
November 29, 2007 5:43:47 PM

I recently put a machine with a similar budget. I went with the Dual Core 6750. First off because I knew it would be easier to Overclock with a much lower cooling requirement than the quad cores. Second because I have not seen many benchmarks that lead me to believe that I would need a quad core chip for gaming.

I'd also suggest picking out a good CPU cooler, especially if you do go with that quad core. I would also suggest putting a little more of your budget towards some better RAM. At least get something with 4-4-4-12 timings.
November 29, 2007 9:53:18 PM

Tierce said:
I recently put a machine with a similar budget. I went with the Dual Core 6750. First off because I knew it would be easier to Overclock with a much lower cooling requirement than the quad cores. Second because I have not seen many benchmarks that lead me to believe that I would need a quad core chip for gaming.

I'd also suggest picking out a good CPU cooler, especially if you do go with that quad core. I would also suggest putting a little more of your budget towards some better RAM. At least get something with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Is this RAM alright? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144
Or do you recommend something else?
Oh and can you give me the specs of your pc and what you bought for it please?
Have you tried playing crysis with a dual 6750?
!